Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Speaking of breech-plugs and  nipples >

Speaking of breech-plugs and nipples

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speaking of breech-plugs and nipples

Old 06-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Speaking of breech-plugs and nipples

I think Doc had it right a lot of years ago :
when asked about the longevity of a White breech-plugs here is his answer :

How long should my breechplug last before I have to replace it?

Your White breech-plug should last virtually forever as long as you don’t lose it. They have been tested to 10,000 shots without damage to the nipple. The secret is that the nipple-breechplug is hardened to RC 38-40 while the hammer is much softer annealed 303 stainless. The means that the hammer may dent, which causes no problem, while the nipple stays in shape, never bending, swelling or peening.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Ole Doc DEFINITELY knew what he was doing, I enjoy reading through his Stuff. I can’t imagine them Breech plugs being that Tough Though?? The one that I would REALLY like to know about is his Fast Twist (1:15) .368 Bores that Won them a Manufacturers Match (I believe that’s what it was?) I would have to see 1 of them .368 Bore Breech plugs in action to Believe that they were getting Much time out of them? I had This Sidelock barrel built to very similar Specs, 1:15 Twist, Shooting a 330 Grain Bullet, The Biggest Difference is my barrel is 32” Long, I Can’t remember what Doc’s Barrel length was in his .368 Cal, But I’m thinking it was 26”? Anyway, I can only get 12-15 Shots through a Brand New Treso/Ampco nipple in my 1:15 Twist .36 Cal and it is TOASTED!! Where i have 200 Shots or better through a few of these Exact Same Treso/Ampco nipples in my .45s, I would be willing to bet that Doc’s .368s Were Breech Plug Flash Hole Eating Machines, Mine sure is! I ended up going to a 60 Dollar Platinum Lined Nipple to Combat it

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Copied and pasted from Doc’s site

Breech plugs were also a problem in early in-line rifles. Most competing designs were overlong, for strength I suppose but made of common steel. Instead, I designed a much shorter breechplug made of oil hardening stainless steel, bringing the Rockwell hardness number up to that of a Springfield ‘06 action, hard enough that a common file would not cut it. Adding the nipple to the breechplug seemed the right thing to do. White Systems had such confidence in the design that they were guaranteed for the lifetime of the original buyer. Time proved that they were a bit over-confident. If not hardened just right, the nipples would eventually peen and bulge to the point that a cap was difficult to fit, but it took about 5000 strikes to do it, more shots than most hunters ever take.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 54bore
Copied and pasted from Doc’s site

Breech plugs were also a problem in early in-line rifles. Most competing designs were overlong, for strength I suppose but made of common steel. Instead, I designed a much shorter breechplug made of oil hardening stainless steel, bringing the Rockwell hardness number up to that of a Springfield ‘06 action, hard enough that a common file would not cut it. Adding the nipple to the breechplug seemed the right thing to do. White Systems had such confidence in the design that they were guaranteed for the lifetime of the original buyer. Time proved that they were a bit over-confident. If not hardened just right, the nipples would eventually peen and bulge to the point that a cap was difficult to fit, but it took about 5000 strikes to do it, more shots than most hunters ever take.
that’s still pretty good compared to most of the breechplugs or nipples on the market today
Old 06-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter

that’s still pretty good compared to most of the breechplugs or nipples on the market today
It is VERY Good!