Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple >

Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple

Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Just So You Know - Testing a New #11 Nipple

I have to correct an error that I made... The nipples are not made of 17-4 SS but rather S-7 steel which is a more resilient metal

S-7 is an air or oil hardening tool steel that is characterized by very high impact toughness. The combination of strength and high toughness makes S-7 tool steel a candidate for a wide variety of tooling applications.

Lehigh Defense is now offering a replacement #11 Nipple for muzzleloaders. The metal used to create this new offering is the harder S-7 steel. The product is also undergone Heat Treating to make it even more durable. At this time the nipple is only available in 1/4x28 thread configuration.

When I first heard about this product, I was really wondering why? After a conversation with the folks at Lehigh - their goal was to create a stronger more durable, longer lasting product. S-7 is certainly a place to start, much better durability than steel or 416 stainless steel.

I have this thing!!!! I want a nipple that with a #11 cap or even a RWS 1075 cap on the nipple post, it will not fall off and it becomes water proof! When a nipple is pressed on to this nipple with a capper or even pushed with your fingers it will stretch the convolutions to the point of flattening the leading edge and not allow water/moisture a pathway to the ignition material in the top of the cap.

It does create a problem for some users in that if the unfired cap is pushed on tightly you will not be able to remove it with your fingers. Most often it will need to be peeled off the post.

The pictures I am posting are from my testing for water proofing

After, I peeled the submerged caps off the nipple post, I did take a Knight DISC out to the shop place the nipples back on the nipple and test fired them. Both the CCI #11 mag and the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ ignited with out a problem. Further I shot 3 ea. of both caps on the new nipple installed in the DISC.

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting, maybe as i wear mine out these may fit my Blk. Dia. n i would get a few.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Very interesting, maybe as i wear mine out these may fit my Blk. Dia. n i would get a few.
Yep! since the BDiamond is an American made ML - the 1/4x28 will work great,
Old 06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I would be interested in testing 1 of these out in my .45s since i shoot them the Most, When will these new Lehigh Nipples become available? The Treso/Ampco’s have been the best Nipples i have tried so far (not counting Platinum lined), I have several Treso/Ampco’s that have 200 Shots or there close abouts through them and They are stil Going Strong at .032-.033, They started at .028

My fast Twist 36 Cal is a Nipple eroding machine, It will Eat Through a Brand new Treso/Ampco in 12-15 Shots. I ended up going Platinum lined in this Rifle, This Gun isn’t fair to test a Regular nipple, These Small Fast Twist bores are accurate, and a Lot of fun to Shoot, But they are HORRIBLE on Nipples due to the Extreme Pressure they Build

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-04-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

54 - I think they are in stock and will soon be added to the inventory! But, I thought that about the new 17-4 Mountaineer Breech Plug also and it is not listed yet. I really do hope things appear in the next few days. I did send Lehigh a Treso-AMPCO nipple for their inspection and they were quite confident that this new would outlast the AMPCO. Only time will tell - I am hoping to shoot a Western DISC tomorrow with a new Lehigh 17-4 installed...
Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, Do you know what size Lehigh is cutting the Flash Hole in these? The Treso/Ampco’s are a tiny .028 Which works Stellar with Real Blackpowder, But to small to reliably set off the Sub powders.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Mike, Do you know what size Lehigh is cutting the Flash Hole in these? The Treso/Ampco’s are a tiny .028 Which works Stellar with Real Blackpowder, But to small to reliably set off the Sub powders.
Great question!!! I will find that out in a few minutes - gotta do a 'honey do' first

But I am betting 0.031???
Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

This pic shows a 0.031 pin gauge in the 'flash channel'

Good for subs!

But I wish I could figure out a way to get a MAG cap to ignite BH!!! without duplexing.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Looks Good Mike! It is nice to see that Lehigh is making these Nipples with Enough Flash Hole Diameter To reliably ignite the Sub Powders without having to be Modified when Brand new (A lot of guy’s don’t understand this, and it is EXTREMELY important!!), I have always Spoke VERY highly of the Treso/Ampco’s and Stil do, I shoot Real Blackpowder Exclusively (Swiss 2 and 3F) And have NEVER had any issues Whatsoever, I get IMMEDIATE Ignition. But the Guy’s Shooting the Substitute Powders have to Open these Treso/Ampcos up about .003-.004 right out of the Package or they will get CONSISTENT Hangfires, The Treso/Ampco’s tiny .028 Flash Hole is Just to Small to Reliably Set off the Sub Powders.
As you know there is a Fine line here when opening a nipple up, About .035-.036 and you are getting REALLY Close to Going Halfcock (Sidelock Muzzleloader) When a Nipple gets to .035ish I consider them Ready to be Replaced. TC’s Old Hotshots were on the LARGE side New, they Measure right at .035, the few i have Measured. I didn’t like them for my use, Idahoron Has used them for years with good luck So i sent what i had of them to Him.

Good for Lehigh to get a new No. 11 Nipple on the Market, I have high hopes for it being Super Durable!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis, I am test shooting some Lehigh 17-4 Vent Liners in two different Knights. These Vent Liners are not even heat treated... I begged my way into testing them just see how long a 17-4 liner would last. One of them being a 1/20 Knight Super DISC. I have 104 shots with 120 gr, BH by volume and the 260 grain sabotless bullet. I am sure I am getting close to max pressure and yet the liner sill measure 0.031. I am sure a 17-4 Heat Treated will last much longer than the one that I am using. But, right now I guess I can not even guess how many shots that liner is going to go. 17-4 is more expensive than 416 - but it last much longer. - I like it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.