Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Shockwaves

Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC Shockwaves

For several years my brother and I have shot the 260 gr. jacket Knight bullets but of late they aren't cutting it. I have seen much talk of the Shockwaves and would like to know if anyone shoots them with 100 gr. of pyrodex pellets through a Knight or a TC muzzleloader. If using them what weight are you using? Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used them on a number of deer they are very accurate I use 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the 250 grain SW they work quite well to 90 yards I have not shot any deer be on that distance as it is thick cover where I hunt around here. There are reports of people having trouble getting them to open with light loads.
I do not use them any more as I switched to Bloodline 250 grain bullets because they are the best terminally.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Barnes T-Ez.....deadly on game and accurate
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 AM
Typical Buck

i use to use shockwaves until i discovered they left no blood trail also found that they go in like a pencil & exit like a pencil.i currently am using barnes t ez in 290 grain but they are knights & are boatail's compared to tez's which are flat based in a traditions strikerfire rifle ldr 30" barrel does a awesome job & then i also use barnes 300 gr expanders in either my traditions pursuit or my t/c impact they also do a wonderful job. they are a bit costly about 1.25 a pop. but who cares when it comes to taking down game . but i am going to try speer deep curls soon they are a 454 casull bullet & hear they do a job on deer & hogs. they are like 40 cents a pop & use crush ribbed sabot's. some guy's here are"nt fans of pointy bullet's.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I am a older hunter and not a bullet/powder expert. I began bp hunting back when pyrodex was a powder and switched to pellets and have mostly shot the Knight 260 gr. jacketed bullets basically because that is what a lot of guys were shooting in the rifles.. I see folks talking about Blackhorn 209. Is it a pellet style charge and why does it now seem to be favored? I shoot an older Knight Wolverine with 100 gr. pyrodex pellets, is that an acceptable charge for the t ez 290 gr Barnes? Should I switch to Blackhorn and why? Looking for advice, thanks.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The older Knight 260gr they offered was a Speer 45cal. The new one appears to be the Hornady made for 444 Marlin speeds. I dont think the bullet is the issue. You are simply shooting them pretty slow with a 2 Pyro pellet load. Blackhorn209 is a loose powder and not well suited to the older style Knight "plunger" rifles. It performs better and safer in a sealed breach system with a bare primer.

A good premium priced bullet that will work well at those speeds is the Lehigh 230gr Controlled Fracture. Its cheaper than the Barnes but you will need to buy some sabots. Those cute fancy tips on the Barnes wont offer you any advantage with lower power loads. You are better off getting one of the Barnes XPBs made for 45LC in the 200gr to 250gr range if you are dead set on Barnes.

The older Speer 260 should be better at those speeds and its cheap.
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...un-bullet/4481

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Gm54-120, Thanks for the info. We always had good luck with the older Knight bullets but with the 260 gr jacketed bullets we have used lately just aren't doing that well. The actual manufacturer doesn't matter to us all we want is for the bullet to perform well as we thought the older Knights did. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Looking on Natchez I see that they are selling a blister pack of Knight 250 gr. Red Hot bullets (I thinks says easy load). Is that the older Speer bullet as suggested above?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Redhots are made for Knight by Barnes. They probably come with the MMP HPH-24 sabot. The picture though looks like a MMP 3P-EZ which is even smaller loaded OD.

This is the old bullet but Speer changed it slightly. Now the copper covers most of the lead or so ive read. Speer part#4481
https://www.natchezss.com/speer-jack...jhp-50-ct.html

You can get them at MidwayUSA and Grafs. I like Grafs because they are flat rate $7.95 shipping and they got good sabot pricing.

Speer 260gr https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/17363
I would try this sabot since its virtually the same OD as the HPH-24 and its cheap. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/5481

I shoot that same sabot in one of my customs. They will handle any load you will be able to shoot. If you want the MMP sabot just go directly to MMP its under the high pressure sabot section called HPH-24
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, it's fashionable to badmouth the 250 grain SST bullet. Some say it "pencils" though leaving no blood trail. Others claim it fragments.

i've killed scores of wild hogs and at least 40 deer using the 250 grain SST bullet. Put the bullet in the right place and you have meat. This fall i've killed six deer. Four were killed with the 250 grain SST bullet: All dropped within sight, one bang flopped. The other two deer were killed with .50 caliber patched round balls, both bang flopped.

This hog weighed 275-300 pounds. That's the exit wound of a 250 grain SST:

Last edited by falcon; 12-11-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.