Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Spear -- Another Look >

Lehigh Spear -- Another Look

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Spear -- Another Look

Old 03-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spent Spear Shot Again

This morning the spent spear (first photo) was shot again. Distance from rifle to horse was 25 yard. Powder used was 50 grain Blackhorn.

_
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

This morning the spent spear (first photo) was shot again. Distance from rifle to horse was 25 yard. Powder used was 50 grain Blackhorn.

Ron - thanks a ton!!!

Looks like you picked up another chunk of new snow!

I really think you proved my point for me. 50grs. V of BH shooting an already shot Lehigh with no petals - did exactly what I thought it would do. Maybe even a bit more than I expected. I thought it would get the first two jugs. The Hydrostatic shock created just by the bullet core more or less blew up the first bottle and put a big hurt on the second.

SHOOT! I just looked at the video again - only magnified - so I could see more - it appears the broken Lehigh went through all 4 jugs - it seems they are leaking water also!!! And now that I look at your last picture I see the hole in the back of the 4th jug!

I think the result of this shot placed over to a shot on a deer would have well done the job. I think in an animal with the density of the blood and organs being more dense in water the shock would have been even a bit greater.

Again thank you for performing the test and confirming what I thought I thought.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're welcome. It was good to get out.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually the BC of the 300 gr .430" XTP is .245not The 240 gr .430" is .205
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/handgun/#!/
Yes it would take more powder but how much more I'm not sure without checking through a chrony. I was only comparing the 300 to the Spear because the BC are closer.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-17-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Actually the BC of the 300 gr .429 XTP is .245not .200
O you are right didn't consider the 44 cal. I was using the .452x300 XTP. I know a heck of a lot of people shoot 44's but I could never get the accuracy from them that I did the 45's. But that was way back in the sidehammer days using different TC Renegades. And now that I think of it - it was the older formulation polymer they were using way back when. The new polymer is so much better!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually the BC of the 300 gr .430" XTP is .245not The 240 gr .430" is .205
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/handgun/#!/
Yes it would take more powder but how much more I'm not sure without checking through a chrony. I was only comparing the 300 to the Spear because the BC are closer.
Bronco,
You trying to compare a 300grn XTP to any Lehigh or Knight bullet/Bloodline is crazy!!

Last edited by Grouse45; 03-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Bronco,
You trying to compare a 300grn XTP to any Lehigh or Knight bullet/Bloodline is crazy!!
Oh really? and why is that? I've been killing deer with the XTP, many times dropping them where they stood, for years. The only reason I can see spending that kind of money for a bullet is if I was limited to a non-lead bullet. And then I would likely use a Barnes EZ which I've also had good luck with.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh really? and why is that? I've been killing deer with the XTP, many times dropping them where they stood, for years. The only reason I can see spending that kind of money for a bullet is if I was limited to a non-lead bullet. And then I would likely use a Barnes EZ which I've also had good luck with.
First of all the XTP is a pistol bullet. Ive shot plenty of game with XTP'S over the years. Well over two hundred Deer with the 200grn, 250grn, and the 300grn XTP'S. Even shot a hog in crossville TN with a bunch of guys to.

These bullets just dont belong in ML'S. Will they work absolutely. Will they be consistent absoluely NOT. Thats why i NEVER used them buck hunting. The 300grn bullet after shot into a Deer could weigh 200grns, 150grns, 275grns, i even found one at 280grns recovered. This equates to inconsistent energy on game.

The best XTP on Deer for me was the 250 XTP. If you hit ribs/bone this bullet would blow up inside. It caused a lot of internal damage. The problem was, its inconsistent. The XTP can never perform the same way twice.

The reason why you cant compare this bullet to a Lehigh/Bloodline bullet is obvious. Lehigh bullets consistenty do the same thing time and time again. And if it works, consistency is what most hunters/shooters want.

The TEZ is another poor choice in a ML. Its the opposite of the XTP. Unless you hit something really solid like the shoulders it will pencil threw and youll be tracking. Been there done that. Another bullet i would not use on a good Deer or Elk.

The best bullet from Barnes in a ML is the MZ Expander. This bullet works, and will work consistently.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all the XTP is a pistol bullet. Ive shot plenty of game with XTP'S over the years. Well over two hundred Deer with the 200grn, 250grn, and the 300grn XTP'S. Even shot a hog in crossville TN with a bunch of guys to.

These bullets just dont belong in ML'S. Will they work absolutely. Will they be consistent absoluely NOT. Thats why i NEVER used them buck hunting. The 300grn bullet after shot into a Deer could weigh 200grns, 150grns, 275grns, i even found one at 280grns recovered. This equates to inconsistent energy on game.

The best XTP on Deer for me was the 250 XTP. If you hit ribs/bone this bullet would blow up inside. It caused a lot of internal damage. The problem was, its inconsistent. The XTP can never perform the same way twice.

The reason why you cant compare this bullet to a Lehigh/Bloodline bullet is obvious. Lehigh bullets consistenty do the same thing time and time again. And if it works, consistency is what most hunters/shooters want.

The TEZ is another poor choice in a ML. Its the opposite of the XTP. Unless you hit something really solid like the shoulders it will pencil threw and youll be tracking. Been there done that. Another bullet i would not use on a good Deer or Elk.

The best bullet from Barnes in a ML is the MZ Expander. This bullet works, and will work consistently.
Well that's your opinion and I have mine. Just like some like BH209 (and some use much more than needed). So you can go on and continue to use your high priced bullets and powder. In the mean time, I'll continue to use what I feel is effective and accurate for myself.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well here we go again......... Agreed, the Expander works.

Grouse45, I'll just tell you though, that your opinion of how a Barnes TEZ or TMZ performs is just... well... kind of incorrect.

As with the highest majority of bullets, they have a minimum velocity to function properly, which according to Barnes, that's approximately 1,100fps with the TEZ or TMZ. So unless a hunter is shooting a squib charge, the bullets should both function extremely well at most shooter's hunting distances (100yds or less) with 100-120grs of about anything.

I've shot semi loads of whitetail with both the TMZ and TEZ bullets and for some reason, never had the same experience as you state.
That includes the use of BP, Pyrodex, T7 and BH209.
I've taken many whitetail at 200 - 250yds+ using BH209 at charges of 110grs volume with both bullets. Never had a long tracking job from a pencil through......

Shot placement is ALWAYS the key factor. If someone likes taking high shots, or gut shots, well count on some tracking. However if you put one through the top of the heart, bottom of the lungs, you're tracking job will be very short, if at all.

The Barnes TEZ would be my bullet of choice for hunting any North American game animal from my rifle. The only reason I'm not shooting them today is I can't get them to group with this rifle at long range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.