HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lehigh Spear -- Another Look
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 AM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Oh really? and why is that? I've been killing deer with the XTP, many times dropping them where they stood, for years. The only reason I can see spending that kind of money for a bullet is if I was limited to a non-lead bullet. And then I would likely use a Barnes EZ which I've also had good luck with.
First of all the XTP is a pistol bullet. Ive shot plenty of game with XTP'S over the years. Well over two hundred Deer with the 200grn, 250grn, and the 300grn XTP'S. Even shot a hog in crossville TN with a bunch of guys to.

These bullets just dont belong in ML'S. Will they work absolutely. Will they be consistent absoluely NOT. Thats why i NEVER used them buck hunting. The 300grn bullet after shot into a Deer could weigh 200grns, 150grns, 275grns, i even found one at 280grns recovered. This equates to inconsistent energy on game.

The best XTP on Deer for me was the 250 XTP. If you hit ribs/bone this bullet would blow up inside. It caused a lot of internal damage. The problem was, its inconsistent. The XTP can never perform the same way twice.

The reason why you cant compare this bullet to a Lehigh/Bloodline bullet is obvious. Lehigh bullets consistenty do the same thing time and time again. And if it works, consistency is what most hunters/shooters want.

The TEZ is another poor choice in a ML. Its the opposite of the XTP. Unless you hit something really solid like the shoulders it will pencil threw and youll be tracking. Been there done that. Another bullet i would not use on a good Deer or Elk.

The best bullet from Barnes in a ML is the MZ Expander. This bullet works, and will work consistently.