HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lehigh Spear -- Another Look
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

This morning the spent spear (first photo) was shot again. Distance from rifle to horse was 25 yard. Powder used was 50 grain Blackhorn.

Ron - thanks a ton!!!

Looks like you picked up another chunk of new snow!

I really think you proved my point for me. 50grs. V of BH shooting an already shot Lehigh with no petals - did exactly what I thought it would do. Maybe even a bit more than I expected. I thought it would get the first two jugs. The Hydrostatic shock created just by the bullet core more or less blew up the first bottle and put a big hurt on the second.

SHOOT! I just looked at the video again - only magnified - so I could see more - it appears the broken Lehigh went through all 4 jugs - it seems they are leaking water also!!! And now that I look at your last picture I see the hole in the back of the 4th jug!

I think the result of this shot placed over to a shot on a deer would have well done the job. I think in an animal with the density of the blood and organs being more dense in water the shock would have been even a bit greater.

Again thank you for performing the test and confirming what I thought I thought.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.