Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
making   changes  to    black   powder and   bullit >

making changes to black powder and bullit

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making changes to black powder and bullit

Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Spike

Default making changes to black powder and bullit

I have a tc blk diamond e r 50 cal I use 209 primer 2 50 gram pellets and 240 gram mag sabot I have harvest deer and coyotes with it and some of you guys answered my questions earlier about better shot placement and it made sense my question I want some input on a better load I am 68 been woods a lot and don t claim to know it all trd archery is my thing thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

A couple of guys gave you some very good advise on loads in the other thread bearbow49. One of those was the use of loose powder vs. pellets. With loose powder you have much better control over your load increments obviously and from what I understand about the pellets and the way they burn there is a different pressure curve which can affect your accuracy as well. I've never been into inlines until recently when I inherited a few so I am a little limited in my knowledge of them other than just listening to the old man when he was talking about them and loads. I guess I listened better than I thought since some seems to have actually sunk in. I know he had recently just switched to that BH209 in his inlines and was very pleased with it's performance but I see that cayugad has informed you that your rifle isn't safe to shoot that. I myself use Swiss FFG in my sidelocks and get very good performance from it. Never got into the substitutes all that much though I did try it a few times. Just never really caught on with it. Oh and by the way, it's not grams it's grains. 2 50 gram pellets would basically be a pretty good sized pipe bomb. A bullet you could try would be a 250 grain XTP from Hornady. Only one of my sidelocks will even shoot saboted bullets at all and that one shoots quite well from it. It also does very good damage to a deer. Never had one run more than 50 yards after hit with one. And that one only ran that far because I only got one lung and some arterial damage. Was quartered heavily away. I run 105 grains of Swiss FFG under it and it does slam a deer pretty hard.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK bearbow I'll give you some tips that will likely improve your accuracy and also save you some money.
First thing is forget those pellets. You're better off getting loose powder (either real black powder or Pyrodex RS or Triple 7) and a powder measure.
Next get yourself some loose bullets. I like Hornady XTPs. You can get them in either .44 or .45 (.451" dia) caliber and some sabots by Harvester or MMP for the appropriate bullets. I'm more familiar with the Harvester and I use the 300 gr Hornady .429" bullet and the Harvester green crush rib sabot.
Start with 80 gr of powder and work your way up to 100 or 110 grains. Something in there should give you really good accuracy.

You can buy more expensive bullets but the deer or yotes won't know the difference and they'll be just as dead.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bearbow49 View Post
I have a tc blk diamond e r 50 cal I use 209 primer 2 50 gram pellets and 240 gram mag sabot I have harvest deer and coyotes with it and some of you guys answered my questions earlier about better shot placement and it made sense my question I want some input on a better load I am 68 been woods a lot and don t claim to know it all trd archery is my thing thanks
I would suggest that you move to loose T7-2f powder. I would suggest you start 100 grain (by volume) and I would actually use 110 to 120 grains for a hunting load. One thing you should know - T7 is more powerful that any of the Pyro's and pellets. Your 100 grains of pellets is actually about 85 grains of T7.

Increasing the velocity will also increase the energy developed by the bullet.

For hunting I would then suggest you try Lehigh bullets. They are in the process of making a new line of solid copper bullets. Currently they are making a .452x265 gr. CF bullet but soon to enter the market will be a .452x240 gr CF and .451x230 gr. CF bullet.

This is the new bullet

And the darn thing shoots really accurately...

This is a ballistic sheet that corresponds to this bullet

I use a MMP HPH-24 sabot with this bullet in my Knights and I think it would do very well in you XR.

The one thing that makes this bullet stand out is it's Terminal Performance. The bullet operates on a different theory than the normal mushrooming bullets. When the nose of the bullet hits a fluid atmosphere the nose actually separates (Controlled Fracture) and allows the six petals to move out and puncture adjacent organs - inducing the rapid loss of blood. The core of the bullet and the greatest weight continues on through the animal creating 'Hydrostatic Shock' most often the bullet exits the animal.

The 265 is a great all-around bullet but you might be more interested in the new bullets coming the 240 grain and/or the 230. The .451x230 is designed to work in the new modern rifles or even the older 1-48 side hammer rifles.

I have some 230's on the way and hoping to get to shoot them this weekend.

Any of these bullets normally will produce very quick harvests... I am 73 and really do not need to track anymore. I really do like bang/flops!

Here is the link to the Lehigh selection

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/muzzleloader

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Spike

thanks for your input will try next time I go to the farm new to networking spelling not good been plumber all my working life tell my kids that hold college degrees if I was smart I wouldnot been in a plb truck 50 yrs lol also I try to shoot the deer that are headed toward the truck lol
Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've killed a lot of deer and hogs with those rifles. The guns are very dirty, especially when using 209 primers. Changed mine over to #11 caps and it stays much cleaner.

Recommendations:

1. Can the pellets and use Pyrodex, 777 or Black MZ powder.

2. Install nipple for #11 caps and use magnum caps.

3. Try a few sabot/bullet combinations. i use the 250 grain SST in the crush rib sabot.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plumbers make a lot more money than lots of college grads. No excuses needed for doing honest work.

Hell, i'm just a dumb retired truck driver.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default 1974 trad archery mule deer hunt

I was in colo 1974 beautiful place was around grand junction guide jhon lamiqe last name prob spelled wrong this ky boy saw lot of game night before season open was in stand cking area had 7 bucks come in 2o yds 2 pope and young
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Come on out and hunt for elk. We have lots of them.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Spike

falcon going to try recommendation on my t c blk diamond load another guy had good ideals also