HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - making changes to black powder and bullit
Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

A couple of guys gave you some very good advise on loads in the other thread bearbow49. One of those was the use of loose powder vs. pellets. With loose powder you have much better control over your load increments obviously and from what I understand about the pellets and the way they burn there is a different pressure curve which can affect your accuracy as well. I've never been into inlines until recently when I inherited a few so I am a little limited in my knowledge of them other than just listening to the old man when he was talking about them and loads. I guess I listened better than I thought since some seems to have actually sunk in. I know he had recently just switched to that BH209 in his inlines and was very pleased with it's performance but I see that cayugad has informed you that your rifle isn't safe to shoot that. I myself use Swiss FFG in my sidelocks and get very good performance from it. Never got into the substitutes all that much though I did try it a few times. Just never really caught on with it. Oh and by the way, it's not grams it's grains. 2 50 gram pellets would basically be a pretty good sized pipe bomb. A bullet you could try would be a 250 grain XTP from Hornady. Only one of my sidelocks will even shoot saboted bullets at all and that one shoots quite well from it. It also does very good damage to a deer. Never had one run more than 50 yards after hit with one. And that one only ran that far because I only got one lung and some arterial damage. Was quartered heavily away. I run 105 grains of Swiss FFG under it and it does slam a deer pretty hard.