HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - making changes to black powder and bullit
Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bearbow49
I have a tc blk diamond e r 50 cal I use 209 primer 2 50 gram pellets and 240 gram mag sabot I have harvest deer and coyotes with it and some of you guys answered my questions earlier about better shot placement and it made sense my question I want some input on a better load I am 68 been woods a lot and don t claim to know it all trd archery is my thing thanks
I would suggest that you move to loose T7-2f powder. I would suggest you start 100 grain (by volume) and I would actually use 110 to 120 grains for a hunting load. One thing you should know - T7 is more powerful that any of the Pyro's and pellets. Your 100 grains of pellets is actually about 85 grains of T7.

Increasing the velocity will also increase the energy developed by the bullet.

For hunting I would then suggest you try Lehigh bullets. They are in the process of making a new line of solid copper bullets. Currently they are making a .452x265 gr. CF bullet but soon to enter the market will be a .452x240 gr CF and .451x230 gr. CF bullet.

This is the new bullet

And the darn thing shoots really accurately...

This is a ballistic sheet that corresponds to this bullet

I use a MMP HPH-24 sabot with this bullet in my Knights and I think it would do very well in you XR.

The one thing that makes this bullet stand out is it's Terminal Performance. The bullet operates on a different theory than the normal mushrooming bullets. When the nose of the bullet hits a fluid atmosphere the nose actually separates (Controlled Fracture) and allows the six petals to move out and puncture adjacent organs - inducing the rapid loss of blood. The core of the bullet and the greatest weight continues on through the animal creating 'Hydrostatic Shock' most often the bullet exits the animal.

The 265 is a great all-around bullet but you might be more interested in the new bullets coming the 240 grain and/or the 230. The .451x230 is designed to work in the new modern rifles or even the older 1-48 side hammer rifles.

I have some 230's on the way and hoping to get to shoot them this weekend.

Any of these bullets normally will produce very quick harvests... I am 73 and really do not need to track anymore. I really do like bang/flops!

Here is the link to the Lehigh selection

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/muzzleloader

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.