Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 WHY So Hard To Load- Hornady SST sabots >

WHY So Hard To Load- Hornady SST sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

WHY So Hard To Load- Hornady SST sabots

Old 10-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Default WHY So Hard To Load- Hornady SST sabots

I Just shot some 250gr Hornady SST sabots. They were so hard to load. I had to put lube on the wad to get it down the barrel. I could' t use my sabot loading jig because it expanded the wad and mad it so tight it would' t go down the barrel. What' s the trick to using these? I used powerbelt before and they load nice. I don' t see how i could use SST' s for hunting. Anyone else with this problem??????
Old 10-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WHY So Hard To Load- Hornady SST sabots

I have a question if your using saboted bullets why are you using a wad with them.You don' t use wads with sabots.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

The powerbelts are slightly undersized and rely on the expansion of the synthetic skirt to act as the gas check as the bullet travels down the barrel. The sabot is slightly oversized to seal off the grooves of the rifling. If you think the 1st is tough wait till ya gotta load a fast 2nd shot. Make the 1st one count! Luckily my 2 inlines love the powerbelts and shoot them well. There has been alot of discussion here about them falling apart but my test (crude as they are) show just the opposite. I will stick with em.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:15 AM

All saboted, jacketed bullets can be hard to load-- the Barnes X-bullets painfully so as well.

The problem is that there are no standards in muzzleloading land as far as bore diameters-- a " .50 caliber" can be .497 - .503" depending on manufacturers.

Pure lead sabots, such as the excellent Dead Centers by www.prbullet.com are easier to load, as are Buffalo SSB' s.

PS
To trac209: a sabot is a " wad."
Old 10-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Randy I thought he was saying he was using a seperate wad with the sabot.