Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady Sabots ??? >

Hornady Sabots ???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady Sabots ???

Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Hornady Sabots ???

what do guys think about the 50 cal. Hornady Sabots in the 300 grain size. they are the XTP bullets. anybody had any luck with them. they seem to have a good price on them.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Hornady Sabots ???

I shot the 240 grain xtp mag: and have to say they did shoot excellent and my charge was 115 grains of pyrodex select,did not have any luck last year the deer would never cross my shooting lane to see what how it takes game
Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

The 300 grain XTP's shot well out of my rifles. I loaded them with 100 grains and they did a real good job. I never shot any critters with them because like Lonewolf, they were not cooperating last year very well... I will say my favorite XTP is the 240 grain. Out of my Wolverine II they shoot excellent.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:26 AM

I have not taken with game with them either. However, I did try them in wet phone books (soaked 24 hours) a few years back and they appear to hold together pretty well for a pistol bullet. Similar "wound channel" to the same weight Hornady SST.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 AM
XTP

........well I guess you can say I like them.....LOL

Used the 300 gr .44 cal loaded over 100 grs pyrodex and have had them penetrate almost tip-to-tail on a deer..ie..quartering-to shot,in front shoulder,through mid-section and exiting rear quarter.The 240 gr bullets should perform well also,but I have not used them myself.

Last couple years I have been playing with the Nosler S.H.O.T.S......supposed to be for target more than game,but they have performed very well in my rifle.Took two bucks so far and both were one shot kills with complete penetration.Basically the same as an XTP except for a softer nose which I think should help it to open quicker.
..........might even have to change my name....!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the 300gr XTPMags as my baseline bullet out of my Knight. Loaded over 80gr of 2fg 777, they give me EXCELLENT accuracy out to 100 yds with a muzzle velocity of 1500fps, with 1500ft lbs of muzzle energy.
I too have never hunted with them, butI wouldn't hesitate to if need be.

The good thing about these is that you can save $$$ bybuying in bulk by ordering the bullets and sabots seperately in boxes of 50 from reloading supply places.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:11 AM

i picked up a couple of boxes. man they are very reasonable to buy. 20 bullets and sabots assembled for $7.00. is that the everyday price or is that a off season markdown. if thats cheap i will go back and get a couple more boxes. got to get out and try them. thanks for the tips.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never used the 300 gr version but the 240gr XTP accounted for 9 harvests of my own(8 deer and 1 black bear). All were one shot kills at varying distance from 25 yards to 147 yards and complete pass thru's with very little tracking required. In my current ML 100-110 gr of Pryo select produced excellent groups as did 2 x50 grain pellets of either T7 or Pyrodex.

I would say 7 bucks for 20 is a little better than average, seeing they sell for about 10-12 in canada. I bought a number before in bulk(as suggested) they cost me .30/piece vs .55/piece for the pre packaged 20's, as such I still have a number and use them for practice. I currently load 250 gr SST for hunting which cost me about .70/piece.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

$7.00 is a good buy, slighty below average I'd say. Before stocking up on them, I'd go shoot a box and see if you're happy with their performance. THEN go stock up.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:28 PM

I tried some, they shot good but had to be loaded by hitting the rod with a rock.

Quick Reply: Hornady Sabots ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.