Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Modern Vs Traditional >

Modern Vs Traditional

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Modern Vs Traditional

Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Banned

Default Modern Vs Traditional

This sums it up pretty good!

1* and Snowing.....

And the guys with all those fancy plastic stocks, scopes, non rusting barrels, are most likely bundled up inside the house because those guns just can't stand up to the extremes. Shoot one them plastic stocks in the cold and they just might shatter to pieces like ice!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay now you are being ridiculous. You know synthetic and laminate stocks hold up better than traditional woods. At least most of them do. Yeah the crap synthetics used on the cheap inlines such as your low end CVA's and Traditions will crack in the cold but your better made synthetic stocks are impervious to weather. The guys bundled up in the house are the ones that will crack...NOT their rifles
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

wood stocks been used in more war than any stock other material. Them mountain men used to whoop injuns over the head with 'em too! Not to mention griz'bars.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

If the mountain men had the opportunity to shoot a modern in-line they would have latched on to it in a heartbeat. They had to harvest to live not for recreation. In the old stories you never heard of them passing up an opportunity to upgrade a weapon be it knife or gun. When cartridges came along they jumped on-board with the efficiencies.
Nostalgia is a separate item and a conundrum to boot. You shoot what you like and defend it with a passion everyone has their reasons. My reasons for an in-line is using the same action in my single shot Encore, same trigger pull with the 50cal, 338-06,20GA etc.... I'm sure spear hunters say gun powder hunters are straying from a real man's sport.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking winter wear.

My coat is wool, but it isn't pretty, because it is orange. My pants are wool. My shoes are leather, but there is an inner lining of plastic. I don't know where i fit in being properly equipped. My underwear is plastic. My shirt is cotton. My vest is cotton with a wool lining. My socks are usually cotton, but sometimes are wool.

I have been hunting since December 1. My first day of hunting was in near zero weather with snow about 10" deep. A few days of that, and then it snowed some more, so i moved lower, and hunted dry ground, and then moved higher into deep snow. For a few days my boots were almost all leather, and my socks were wool. My gloves are wool. My rifle has a wooden stock, but it has a stainless barrel. The bullets in my rifle were lead, and copper, but they rode in a plastic sabot. Blackhorn powder is what it was loaded with, and ignition was from W209 primer.

Then it snowed more, and more, and became really really cold. Twenty degrees, when it came, felt hot. Then it snowed more, and i couldn't access where i was hunting with my truck. To access where i wanted to hunt, i walked miles in snow almost knee deep, and i suffered and suffered, hunting in deep snow, and bitter cold. When i located deer, i couldn't just shoot, i had to glass them to ensure they were antlerless, and not spikes.

I hunted with a 'modern' rifle, an Omega X7, with a 1X scope, and i guess you don't approve. My eyes cannot focus on the front sight is why. It was loaded with a 'modern' powder, but when called upon, it went bang. I am not ashamed because i used a 'modern' rifle, and wore plastic clothing.

A few days ago, it was -5 when i left the truck, and after wading deep snow, i spotted a deer. Somehow i managed to get next to a tree, and seek a shot. After an hour i still hadn't shot, but somehow managed to not be totally froze up. Then i saw more deer, and waited for a shot. Even with the tree helping me hold the rifle, i was unable to steady my aim. After 1 1/2 hour standing there in the bitter cold, i was unable to stop shivering, and shoot, so i slunk away down the way i came.

It has been bitter cold here, and there has been so much snow i haven't been able to hunt where i have found deer in the past. Yesterday i left the truck when temperature read -2, with my 'modern' rifle, and walked up the mountain in snow a way too deep for a sensible old man. Wearing a wool coat, pants, and gloves; plastic underwear. i finally got the shot i wanted from my 'modern' X7. My tag is notched, after 29 days. Most days it was bitter cold, and the snow was either too deep, or too crusty, or too crunchy, or non-existent. Mostly the wind was from the right direction, but sometimes not, and sometimes the wind was near unbearable. What a season it was; i notched the tag.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Fork Horn

You win

It was a balmy 8* when I was out last night with my son, the wind was a bit nippy though, my eyelashes kept icing up
Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

It was so cold around -30 below when I walked (thank god for snow shoes) out to the deer woods in 4 foot of snow up hill. Saw a nice buck lifted the inline up and fired. Was so cold the flame at the end of the darn barrel froze in place. Dug a big pit in the snow and got that buck in there to field dress. Dang thing was really froze up so I had to use the hatchet to chop the body cavity open and chop out the inwards.
Now the real job started I had to drag that deer thru 4 foot of snow up hill all the way back to the camp.
Ya suppose I could have cut it up in manageable chunks to pack out but it was just to froze up to cut the hide let alone the meat.

Al
Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention wearing a cotton bandana, and a wool cap. On many days it was so cold, that one couldn't walk in tracks, because there the snow 'squeaked', so i had to break a new trail most every day, in snow some less than knee deep.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Plastic stocks, wood stocks, laminate stocks, cap lock, flintlock, plunger gun, bolt gun, its not what you carry, its what you trust. While I love shooting traditional rifles of all kinds, in reality if I were out of meat and needed to make sure that if I got a shot I got a kill... I don't care what the weather, if I were hungry and needed that meat I would be outfitted with a scoped inline rifle. Probably a White Ultra Mag. I would be wearing what ever was needed to keep me warm, comfortable, and get me back home with my venison.

Thank goodness in this day and age if I get hungry I have this one spot to go. There is food all over the place and I don't even need a gun to get it. And the women at the check out is real nice and smiles at me when I go through the line.

To those that commit themselves to traditional, I think that is great. I used to do the Rendezvous circuit an had a lot of fun. But to argue that one is better then the other is hard to prove.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

800 and 40 yards....Swinglock 416.

Technology is a wonderful thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.