Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes x-bullet

Old 10-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barnes x-bullet

I used the Barnes MZ Expander... on one buck it went through both shoulder blades, found two of th petals sheared off against the opposite shoulder blade. Exits on all deer shot with it. More interested in an accurate load that will cleanly take a deer... with the Barnes I have that. That doesn' t mean I won' t try ather loads.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 PM

Now Kevin what compels you to make a broad and rediculous statement like that??? I have " dropkicked, poleaxed, bodyslammed and piledriven" many deer over 150 yds with my plain lil ole 22" barreled 50cal Knight. On a New Mexico elk hunt a few years ago with me, my own step-brother shot a 290" 6x6 at 213 yards (laser verfied by a skeptical and intially nervous guide from AZ!). At the shot the bull hunkered up and walked a few yards. My brother reloaded, again the guide ranged it (217 this time) and he pumped another 300grain hollowpoint into the bull. The bull took 2 steps behind some saplings and was no longer in sight. A " worrisome" walk to those saplings yielded a very surprising and new found respect for " smokepoles" . Not only was the bull very much dead in a heap in the lil trees, but upon further inspection while dressing the bull out. It was discovered that BOTH shots (thru the lungs btw) fully exited the otherside of the bull!!!

Dont discount a 45cal 250-300 grain chunk of lead/copper when its initially launched at over 2k fps. They are quite DEADLY weapons and simply a joy to hunt with (cleaning the nasty buggers is a different story and one that has me planning on a Savage smokeless rig by next season ) As for the " 300 yd smokepole" I guess I will have to change the parameters, because technically with the smokeless powder, 180-200grain bullets and the tough Savage it will be a " ramrod gun" capable of nearly 3k fps!!! [>:][>:][>:] Will we have to start callin them smokeLESSpoles?

Like I tell all my customers, ALL guns now days are typically much more capable than 99% of the people pulling the triggers!
RA
Old 10-27-2003, 06:48 AM
bigcountry

You know last Friday, I took a nice buck with my knight with 95 gr of pyrodex and 240gr Hornady XTP. I shot 90 yards in an angling shot in the shoulder. It penetrated the shoulder and barely made it to the heart. The lungs was totally intact, and so was the heart really, beside the bullet indentation. This really convinced me that unless totally broadsided, no one has any business shooting past 100 yards with 1700fps velocity and .20 BC bullets.

I have noticed a real disturbing trend in muzzleloading in the past 10 years slowly. I notice alot of wounded deer or deer that is never found until you smell them later. I just didn' t notice this much of it 10 or 15 years ago. I see people taking much further shots with much greater risk. Maybe cause 10 years ago in the states I hunt (Ky, WV and MD), they didn' t allow scopes. Maybe its the overconfidense that the 150gr loads give hunters. Or maybe its just the growth of the muzzleloaders. I used to never see that many hunters in the woods with ML long ago. Now, here in MD for instance, its almost like firearms season.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

reply to kevin1 ridiculing 150+yards bp shots

On another forum exists a post with a recorded 350 yard kill using a $140 Knight American Knight.

If you know how to blackpowder correctly & are using a quality modern bp rifle of at least 22 inches of barrel... meaning
you are an accurate shooter
you know the terrain
know what temperatures are best
know the wind & speed
sea level & humidity & how heavy the air is
have the proper bullet/powder

You should have no problem shooting properly beyond 200 yards on any given day. If you pull the trigger aiming at a long range target when you are unsure of the 6 things I mentioned above, then that' s why people like you come on these forums expressing their disbelief over consistency with bp weapons. Too many shooters practice in nice weather on a bench... then shoot somewhere they' ve never been too in lousy, cold, windy weather & expect the same results as before... that' s crazy.... practice-practice-practice!

Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

tennhunter,
I used the Barnes-X bullet for 3 years in my Knight ML. Every deer I shot with it was " brown and down" . Only on 2 instances did the bullet pass truough and those shots were made under 50 yards.
When I got my T/C Encore I switched to the " Dead Center" from Precision Rifle Bullet. I am shooting a 220gr. all lead polymer tipped sabot. Last year I shot 2- 90lb. does at the same time with the same bullet. the bullet passed through the first does spine and through the seconds does heart. (shot from a tree stand)
Both deer piled up and died instantly. A complete pass through on both deer. The deer were about 2-3 feet apart. Shot was taken at 37 yds.

I now only shoot these bullets!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

Now, I see why I am finding all kinds of wounded deer now.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for the dissention fellas , I' m just trying to head off the next generation of " brown and downers" . I' ve seen the ballistics on nearly every type of ML and bullet/load like Randy , and know what I' m personally comfortable with . I' m still of the opinion that a shot over 150 yards , regardless of equipment/load is irresponsible for most hunters . Be honest folks , how many of you practice super long shots on a regular basis ? And how many of you actually hit the target consistently ? Not the bullseye , the target period .

Personally , I relish the challenge of calling them in close for a good clean shot , and thereby avoiding most of the chance for a bad hit . If you can take a deer at 200 yards+ consistantly then more power to you , you' re a much better shot with an ML than I am . But most people don' t put in the range time or experiment with their equipment enough to do that . This causes them to go afield with the idea that their new " super ML" and super duper scope will pick up the slack , and we all know better than that .
Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

kevin1,
Like you, I am trying to get any animal I hunt to within the closest proximity of myself. I perfer high percentage shots. I don' t gamble and don' t buck the odds when it comes to the humane and effective kill of the game I persue. I strongly condone the use of " good hunting practices" and hunting within one' s own limits.
In many cases this means passing up on shots that you are not sure of.

There are no 300yd ML' ers and I would never buy one based on that type of advertising. Mine is touted as being a 200yd ML' er. I am not capable of consistently shooting at that distance today. My hunting terrain limits me to shots that are right with the national average for killing deer...under 100 yds!!!
I may never un-veil the advertised 200yd kill from this gun, and so what?, but it does work great on everything I have pointed it at!!!