HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes x-bullet
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Barnes x-bullet

Now Kevin what compels you to make a broad and rediculous statement like that??? I have " dropkicked, poleaxed, bodyslammed and piledriven" many deer over 150 yds with my plain lil ole 22" barreled 50cal Knight. On a New Mexico elk hunt a few years ago with me, my own step-brother shot a 290" 6x6 at 213 yards (laser verfied by a skeptical and intially nervous guide from AZ!). At the shot the bull hunkered up and walked a few yards. My brother reloaded, again the guide ranged it (217 this time) and he pumped another 300grain hollowpoint into the bull. The bull took 2 steps behind some saplings and was no longer in sight. A " worrisome" walk to those saplings yielded a very surprising and new found respect for " smokepoles" . Not only was the bull very much dead in a heap in the lil trees, but upon further inspection while dressing the bull out. It was discovered that BOTH shots (thru the lungs btw) fully exited the otherside of the bull!!!

Dont discount a 45cal 250-300 grain chunk of lead/copper when its initially launched at over 2k fps. They are quite DEADLY weapons and simply a joy to hunt with (cleaning the nasty buggers is a different story and one that has me planning on a Savage smokeless rig by next season ) As for the " 300 yd smokepole" I guess I will have to change the parameters, because technically with the smokeless powder, 180-200grain bullets and the tough Savage it will be a " ramrod gun" capable of nearly 3k fps!!! [>:][>:][>:] Will we have to start callin them smokeLESSpoles?

Like I tell all my customers, ALL guns now days are typically much more capable than 99% of the people pulling the triggers!
RA