Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer >

Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Spike

Default Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer

As promised I am reporting back to the forum re: my Knight Mountaineer that was hitting VERY high on each first shot. Justin Perry at Knight Rifles, was a HUGE help in getting my Mountaineer accurate & trouble-free again. He replaced/warrantied my barrel, and also my stock & recoil pad as the original pad was falling apart. I've been out 3 times to shoot, and 'low-and-behold' NO MORE high flyers on that first, cold shot!!! YAY! Don't fully understand what was going on before, but I absolutely knew I had a defective barrel. Justin also recommended I fire a couple primers before loading 1st shot and reduce my load from 120 grs. BH 209 to 100grs or so. I did this, and produced a 1.25" group @ 150 yds. with first three shots. The area I hunt Elk in is wide open, and long shots are the norm. So I upped it a tad to 110 grs., and accuracy went back down to about 3.5" group @ 150 & 4.5" @ 200 yds. Needless to say, that'll do just fine for either deer or Elk. I continue to shoot Barnes T-EZ 290 gr. bullet w/ blue sabot. I used to switch down to 250 gr. for deer, but have had superior accuracy using the 290 gr. so will use the 290 gr. for all critters now.
Soooooo, once again I'm a VERY happy shooter/hunter & once again LOVE my Mountaineer. My deer hunt is next week, and Elk at begining of Nov. Dam I'm excited!
Thanks to Justin @ Knight Rifles, I'll have more confidence than ever for this upcoming season.

Also many thanks again to all of you on forum who offered advice re. my issue and may you all enjoy fun, safe & successful hunting seasons this fall. Jim
Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Following this thread makes me want to get a Mountaineer someday. Knowing you'll get good performance and great customer service if you don't peace of mind worth spending for.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good to hear. And Kudos to Knight. Good luck on your hunts.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Glad they got it straightened out for you.
-Jake
Old 09-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Spike

did you just call the knight number or do you have a number for him, I've left a message with someone at Knight to get back with me about the sticking primers and never got a phone call back. I tried a couple times and no one has answered and I finally gave up.

I'm glad you was able to get your issue resolved!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Good to hear! As much trouble as you had, I'm glad it's fixed.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Spike

sorry I didn't get back sooner. Out hunting deer. Call Knight Production Manager: Mr. Justin Perry. His number is 423-507-4797. He very much cares about Knight customers and their needs. Jim