HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM
jimsmokepole
Spike

Default Fixed that High-hitting Mountaineer

As promised I am reporting back to the forum re: my Knight Mountaineer that was hitting VERY high on each first shot. Justin Perry at Knight Rifles, was a HUGE help in getting my Mountaineer accurate & trouble-free again. He replaced/warrantied my barrel, and also my stock & recoil pad as the original pad was falling apart. I've been out 3 times to shoot, and 'low-and-behold' NO MORE high flyers on that first, cold shot!!! YAY! Don't fully understand what was going on before, but I absolutely knew I had a defective barrel. Justin also recommended I fire a couple primers before loading 1st shot and reduce my load from 120 grs. BH 209 to 100grs or so. I did this, and produced a 1.25" group @ 150 yds. with first three shots. The area I hunt Elk in is wide open, and long shots are the norm. So I upped it a tad to 110 grs., and accuracy went back down to about 3.5" group @ 150 & 4.5" @ 200 yds. Needless to say, that'll do just fine for either deer or Elk. I continue to shoot Barnes T-EZ 290 gr. bullet w/ blue sabot. I used to switch down to 250 gr. for deer, but have had superior accuracy using the 290 gr. so will use the 290 gr. for all critters now.
Soooooo, once again I'm a VERY happy shooter/hunter & once again LOVE my Mountaineer. My deer hunt is next week, and Elk at begining of Nov. Dam I'm excited!
Thanks to Justin @ Knight Rifles, I'll have more confidence than ever for this upcoming season.

Also many thanks again to all of you on forum who offered advice re. my issue and may you all enjoy fun, safe & successful hunting seasons this fall. Jim