Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight/CVA range results with Lehigh 265grn Prototype >

Knight/CVA range results with Lehigh 265grn Prototype

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight/CVA range results with Lehigh 265grn Prototype

Old 10-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight/CVA range results with Lehigh 265grn Prototype

Knight Ultralite:
I purposely cleaned and oiled barrel to represent how it will be in Colorado. After doing this three times with this new bullet I'm probably gonna shoot a fowling shot or clean the barrel before loading. It doesn't matter at 100 yards or less but you just never know what could happen in those mountains of Colorado.

The next target was at 200 yards. We usually post our best targets, but this target was the worst one at 200 yards so I'm plenty pleased with accuracy out to 250 yards. I did also shoot a group at 250yards and it was right around 2 1/2 inches. The ballistic reticle is working pretty well with this bullet.

CVA Accura MR:

One thing is for sure, you can get a cheap made ML to shoot good. I've always said I think you can get any modern inline today to shoot an inch or inch and half pretty easy with all the sabot options today. This ML right out of the box is very dirty. Definitely needs head spacing for sure. Not sure why they don't do that at the factory but I guess it's more of a cost. I was planning on using this in PA and Ohio but I'm pretty sure I'm not now. Maybe for Doe only. The delay I'm sure is cause it's so dirty, but I don't want to mess with it now.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you well know I don't like CVA as a company period. They are thieves and produce lower quality products in my opinion. BUT to be fair, MOST break open actions have to have head space set. Factory production for tolerances that tight is pretty expensive to get perfect "crush" for every rifle. Just the nature of the beast. Even with TC's you will have to do a little tinkering most times to get good crush and less blow back. Either with washers to set primers out a little or even just experimenting with different primers. Just the nature of break open actions.

Looks like that Big Mouth Bass looking bullet still flies pretty well though. I bet that sucker has a BIG "whistle" on the way to the target.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's good grouping Grouse. But quite frankly I don't seen any problem with the way the CVA shot either, even with the delay. Perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy for most PA hunting situations (except open field). That bullet should work fine.
But I'm sorry but I do have to say something about your comment about not using it in PA except maybe for doe. That comment makes one think you believe a doe's life is not equal to that of a buck's! I don't think that's what you meant at all but that's what it sounds like.
But in any event, IMO either rifle is easily capable of a clean humane kill up to 100 yards and beyond.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That's good grouping Grouse. But quite frankly I don't seen any problem with the way the CVA shot either, even with the delay. Perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy for most PA hunting situations (except open field). That bullet should work fine.
But I'm sorry but I do have to say something about your comment about not using it in PA except maybe for doe. That comment makes one think you believe a doe's life is not equal to that of a buck's! I don't think that's what you meant at all but that's what it sounds like.
But in any event, IMO either rifle is easily capable of a clean humane kill up to 100 yards and beyond.
Growing up using flintlocks and patch round balls. I learned to shoot with a delay. Also many years later I learned to not have delays with them either. But anytime you have a delay you risk the gun not actually going off as well. So I don't have a problem with a possible delay shooting any animal. Been there done that. But I do have a problem with Buck hunting and the gun doesn't go off. Doe hunting I could care less if it doesn't go off. But the easiest solution is sight in a T/C Strike, or a Triumph, or another Ultralite, or maybe a Vision, or even a 50cal Disc Elite, or maybe a Nula, just way to many options to worry about misfires or delays.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

very good shooting there. 250 yards ... wow! Who would have ever thought. Nice shooting.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
As you well know I don't like CVA as a company period. They are thieves and produce lower quality products in my opinion. BUT to be fair, MOST break open actions have to have head space set. Factory production for tolerances that tight is pretty expensive to get perfect "crush" for every rifle. Just the nature of the beast. Even with TC's you will have to do a little tinkering most times to get good crush and less blow back. Either with washers to set primers out a little or even just experimenting with different primers. Just the nature of break open actions.

Looks like that Big Mouth Bass looking bullet still flies pretty well though. I bet that sucker has a BIG "whistle" on the way to the target.
I switched to CCI Primers and they really made the MR dirty. The Winchester primers weren't to bad at all but still dirty. If your daughter gets tired of that impact let her know ill give her all her money back and pay to ship it to me.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try the shortest primer you can find and the o-rings from McMasters. Euro primers are shorter but they are fatter. (Cheddite, Nobel, Fioochi ect) They fit the CVAs fine. The o-rings last around 20 shots or more. The CVA shims are a permanent solution and very simple to install.

Be warned though once you set head space for a shorter primer like the CCI, a Win209 might go off just closing the action so be careful using shims.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-03-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

Be warned though once you set head space for a shorter primer like the CCI, a Win209 might go off just closing the action so be careful using shims.
Obviously that doesnt sound good. Why is it different with the break opens versus a bolt gun? Ive crushed primers so hard i couldnt close the bolt and the primer didnt fire. Im shocked it doesnt with the bolt in my tests but im sure it could.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Obviously that doesnt sound good. Why is it different with the break opens versus a bolt gun? Ive crushed primers so hard i couldnt close the bolt and the primer didnt fire. Im shocked it doesnt with the bolt in my tests but im sure it could.
Because you're not slamming the bolt against it.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I switched to CCI Primers and they really made the MR dirty. The Winchester primers weren't to bad at all but still dirty. If your daughter gets tired of that impact let her know ill give her all her money back and pay to ship it to me.
You couldn't pry that thing out of her hands with a stick of dynamite! She can load up that puppy now with 100gr BH209 under one of those 220gr Lehigh's you sent with it and pulverize the bull at 100. She got over her recoil shyness a bit. Once she figured out how to roll with it on the bench. Granted she isn't up to shooting any of my "beasts" that rattle your brain when fired but she handles that little Impact like a champ. She could probably take it up to 110gr but that load is deadly accurate for her out to 150-200. I'll take 5 shot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards all day and twice on Sunday from ANY muzzleloader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.