Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In the market for a ML >

In the market for a ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In the market for a ML

Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default In the market for a ML

Hi all,

I'm considering using a Muzzleloader next year during our state's shotgun deer season. We have a couple new blinds that could possibly require shots out to 150 - 175 Yds and i don't think my shotgun is up to it. I would also like to use the ML for a mule deer hunt out west. And it's time for a new toy.

interested in what people have to say about the new crop of ML's out there now. I had a Traditions inline years ago, but it looks like things have changed quite a but since then.

Interested in your feedback.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Banned

well first off I would check on regs in area you intend to hunt and see what is legal for the hunt.
we can still shoot inlines but it must have exposed nipple and iron sites. also , no pellets, loose powder only. and sabots are illegal
Old 01-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

well normally i shoot white rifles but i just bought the accura v2/lr nitride rifle combo package if your not familiar i would check them out very easy to load,shoot and maintain although they don't come with the loose powder breech plug so if you plan on shooting loose powder you'll have to buy one anyhow i shot the federal bor lok 270 gr bullets with 120 grs bh209 powder "way too stout" very accurate i am planning on going to the range again tomorrow and reduce my load to about 90-100 grs of bh209 i'll post my targets and let everybody know how she shoots.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
well first off I would check on regs in area you intend to hunt and see what is legal for the hunt.
we can still shoot inlines but it must have exposed nipple and iron sites. also , no pellets, loose powder only. and sabots are illegal
i wonder if the federal bor lok are going to be considered a sabot ? i wouldn't think so but who knows ?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i wonder if the federal bor lok are going to be considered a sabot ? i wouldn't think so but who knows ?
I am not sure. I would suggest you check and make sure.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
I am not sure. I would suggest you check and make sure.
question not for me it was just general question for the op. thanks !
Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will get alot of opinions when you ask a question like that. You also didn't mention what you budget was...that could make a difference.

The thing is, there are plenty of rifles that will get the job done. The Traditions and CVA are cheaper Spanish made guns, but certainly work fine and get the job done. CVA being much better than that Trad, imo. If I was looking at that I'd opt for a CVA Optima V2. I think that is probably the best value for the $ in their lineup. The Wolf is the entry level, and does well for an inexpensive rifle.

You have TC which is now owned by S&W, their focus certainly isn't ML's but they still have a few decent rifles. The Omega which they did away with was outstanding, no clue why they discontinued it. The triumph gets alot of praise, the impact is an entry level rifle but pretty good by all counts.

The upper end of the list for production guns is Knight. Made in USA, excellent craftsmanship, top quality parts, and they drive tacks. The mac daddy production ML imo is the Ultra-Lite. Just an amazing rifle, but certainly not cheap. The biggest seller is the disc extreme. If you are open to shooting a .52 (which has alot of bullet options) you can get a stainless disc extreme from Knight for less than $400 new - which is outstanding. My suggestion for any of the knights would be to get the bare primer breech plug setup. Mine give 100% blowback free igntion with W209 primers and BH209, and they shoot extremely well. You should have zero problems shooting accurately and confidently out to 200yds with one, once you dial it in and practice.

Another thing... fit and feel may be important to you. I suggest handling some if you can before you purchase.

My .02, good luck in your search!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Spike

In Iowa it's legal to hunt the shotgun season with a ML. the only restriction is you cannot use a one that has electronic ignition.

From a budget standpoint I would like to stay under a grand for the rifle. Have not started the search yet for the glass.

Thanks for the info on the Knights. i think I will also take a look at some of the TC's.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berettaman
In Iowa it's legal to hunt the shotgun season with a ML. the only restriction is you cannot use a one that has electronic ignition.

From a budget standpoint I would like to stay under a grand for the rifle. Have not started the search yet for the glass.

Thanks for the info on the Knights. i think I will also take a look at some of the TC's.
Wow, then just buy the best!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587...with-spiderweb
Old 01-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

My person favorite is the CVA Optima with thumbhole stock.

Another great muzzy is the Traditions Strikerfire. Every year my brother in law gets lucky and his deer keep getting bigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.