HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In the market for a ML
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

You will get alot of opinions when you ask a question like that. You also didn't mention what you budget was...that could make a difference.

The thing is, there are plenty of rifles that will get the job done. The Traditions and CVA are cheaper Spanish made guns, but certainly work fine and get the job done. CVA being much better than that Trad, imo. If I was looking at that I'd opt for a CVA Optima V2. I think that is probably the best value for the $ in their lineup. The Wolf is the entry level, and does well for an inexpensive rifle.

You have TC which is now owned by S&W, their focus certainly isn't ML's but they still have a few decent rifles. The Omega which they did away with was outstanding, no clue why they discontinued it. The triumph gets alot of praise, the impact is an entry level rifle but pretty good by all counts.

The upper end of the list for production guns is Knight. Made in USA, excellent craftsmanship, top quality parts, and they drive tacks. The mac daddy production ML imo is the Ultra-Lite. Just an amazing rifle, but certainly not cheap. The biggest seller is the disc extreme. If you are open to shooting a .52 (which has alot of bullet options) you can get a stainless disc extreme from Knight for less than $400 new - which is outstanding. My suggestion for any of the knights would be to get the bare primer breech plug setup. Mine give 100% blowback free igntion with W209 primers and BH209, and they shoot extremely well. You should have zero problems shooting accurately and confidently out to 200yds with one, once you dial it in and practice.

Another thing... fit and feel may be important to you. I suggest handling some if you can before you purchase.

My .02, good luck in your search!