Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking at breech plugs!! >

Looking at breech plugs!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking at breech plugs!!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Looking at breech plugs!!

No need to shoot any of these plugs to know how good they are. The plug on the left is a T/C Impact plug. This plug is amazingly designed. T/C is leading the industry in breech plug making.

The second plug from left to right is the NULA plug. Here again a very good design.

The third is a Lehigh conversion plug. This plug was designed around the Exteme/Elite muzzleloaders. This plug would be more like the plugs on the left if it wasn't designed for a already existing ML.

The plug on the far right is a CVA MR plug for BH209. This plug would be perfectly fine for all powders or pellets if they shortened the plug close to 3/8 just guessing and put a 5/32 flame channel and left the plug flat on the end. A .30 flash hole would be good. This would reliably ignite all powders.

With out a good design there's no sense or need to fire the gun. Once you got a good one, firing is needed to determine cleanliness and head spacing to keep clean.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom, delete some of your PM's, your box is full
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Tom, delete some of your PM's, your box is full
Ok, done now
Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

Not having to shoot rifles, breech plugs, or bullets to test them sure has saved me a lot of time. Tonight i was able to test the bullet you sent, and also was able to modify the plug you sent, all in the same evening.

The bullet weighs 324.5 grain, and has a diameter of 0.50". It looks like a controlled fracturing bullet without the slits cut into it. Evidently it isn't a controlled fracturing bullet. It is shown in the Knight rifle in the following photo. The bullet is actually too small to fit the Knight, and falls all the way down the barrel to the breech plug. The bullet fits the CVA Optima perfectly. Yes, i Really really wanted to shoot it, but testing protocol here, no longer requires the step of actual shooting.

The plug is ready to mail back, and probably will be mailed in the morning.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron those 50x325`s fit the newer Mountaineer/ULite barrels very well. If you were to shoot them in the older DISC`s they most often drop to the bottom. Nothing that a small amount of knurling between to files would not take care very easily.

I have been shooting them from a ULite for almost a year now. They ride the lands very well. I do use a MMP sub-base under the bullet as a gas seal.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Banned

LHR admitted to a customer that their BP design freezes up unless you use BH209. That to me is not a good design. I wonder if TC fixed that.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

Tom,

Not having to shoot rifles, breech plugs, or bullets to test them sure has saved me a lot of time. Tonight i was able to test the bullet you sent, and also was able to modify the plug you sent, all in the same evening.

The bullet weighs 324.5 grain, and has a diameter of 0.50". It looks like a controlled fracturing bullet without the slits cut into it. Evidently it isn't a controlled fracturing bullet. It is shown in the Knight rifle in the following photo. The bullet is actually too small to fit the Knight, and falls all the way down the barrel to the breech plug. The bullet fits the CVA Optima perfectly. Yes, i Really really wanted to shoot it, but testing protocol here, no longer requires the step of actual shooting.

The plug is ready to mail back, and probably will be mailed in the morning.

Whatever you think Ron!! But I still like the Dog.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
LHR admitted to a customer that their BP design freezes up unless you use BH209. That to me is not a good design. I wonder if TC fixed that.
What/which breech plug doesn't freeze up when shooting 777 for example if not lubed properly?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who cares about T7? The CVA BP can be kept bone dry with BH 209.

It will also unscrew faster that way for the thread challenged types.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have used the TC impact plug, TC triumph plug, and Lehigh plug bone dry with bh209 with zero issues. In my experience, CVA is not the only plug that this can be done in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.