Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA breech plug question >

CVA breech plug question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA breech plug question

Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
What city / state do you hunt in? Sometimes climate is the difference in performance, between the two manufactured plugs.

Not being a CVA owner myself, I've read posts where the CVA plug performed flawlessly during October sight-in at 55 degrees. But when muzzleloading season and 20 degrees arrived, hangfires occurred.

If it were my CVA, I'd be using the Western Powder one.
You have seen posts where the CVA plug that was made for blackhorn 209 had hang fires? Or are you talking about the standard cva plug that comes with the gun?

I have shot deer with the CVA plug made for blackhorn 209 in -15 degrees in our late muzzleloader season and got instant ignition.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

I suppose the condition of the plug and humidity might affect it.

I dunno. I have no CVAs anymore.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Ok great, I'll send it to you once I get it.
The OEM plug is the one that gets Ron's mod. I dont think the BH209 plugs have enough metal left to install a vent liner. The flash channel may end up too short in the BH209 plug.

The OEM plug with Ron's mod is probably a far better option for adequate flame channel volume. I think he also enlarges the flash channel to 5/32. The BH209 plugs both use a 1/8 flash channel.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
What city / state do you hunt in? Sometimes climate is the difference in performance, between the two manufactured plugs.

Not being a CVA owner myself, I've read posts where the CVA plug performed flawlessly during October sight-in at 55 degrees. But when muzzleloading season and 20 degrees arrived, hangfires occurred.

If it were my CVA, I'd be using the Western Powder one.
I am referring to the CVA breech plug made to shoot BH 209, not the stock one that comes with the rifle. As I said, i have not found any physical differences between it and the Western Powders BH 209 breech plug for the CVA, so I see no reason why one would be affected by weather more than the other. In fact, both have been shot many times at temperatures well below freezing with no issues.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabinajiles
I am referring to the CVA breech plug made to shoot BH 209, not the stock one that comes with the rifle. As I said, i have not found any physical differences between it and the Western Powders BH 209 breech plug for the CVA, so I see no reason why one would be affected by weather more than the other......
Well, i haven't found any differences in the two plugs either, but a pile of folk have written that they are different. They have the same size flame channel, and the same size flash hole. They are the same length. They both work reliably in my rifle. Maybe the taper from the flame channel to the flash hole is different??
Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i haven't found any differences in the two plugs either, but a pile of folk have written that they are different. They have the same size flame channel, and the same size flash hole. They are the same length. They both work reliably in my rifle. Maybe the taper from the flame channel to the flash hole is different??
Ron,
I think you put a 5/32 flame channel in your plugs right? I want 5/32 flame in my plug for sure. No exceptions!!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Banned

Or projectile fit.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,
I think you put a 5/32 flame channel in your plugs right? I want 5/32 flame in my plug for sure. No exceptions!!
Yes, the flame channel will be 5/32", and it will come back with one of your flat head vent liner installed, and it will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder. Or would you rather have one of my vent liner?

Now just to be sure, you are sending the plug out of the rifle right? not the Blackhorn QRBP...... The Blackhorn QRBP could have the flame channel drilled out to 5/32", but i wouldn't want to install a vent liner in it.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, the flame channel will be 5/32", and it will come back with one of your flat head vent liner installed, and it will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder. Or would you rather have one of my vent liner?

Now just to be sure, you are sending the plug out of the rifle right? not the Blackhorn QRBP...... The Blackhorn QRBP could have the flame channel drilled out to 5/32", but i wouldn't want to install a vent liner in it.
I'm sending the plug right out of the gun. 5/32 flame Channel drilled and tapped for a vent. I don't need any vent liners so keep them. ...Edited by Champlain Islander....

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-05-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: business dealings need to be in classified section
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]....Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-05-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: No business conducted other than the classified forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.