Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
something in the barrel >

something in the barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

something in the barrel

Old 12-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

gun has always been kept spotlessly clean and these spots weren't there pre-season. any thoughts on getting this cleaned up?
Moisture entered the barrel. That moisture reacted with the powder residue, causing rust. Moisture alone can cause rust in unprotected bores.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
He didn't say that. He said he cleaned the gun the other day after the season. But even if he did say that so what?
We don't know if he had fired the gun during the season and reloaded it for the remainder of the season. I believe that is what a few of us are trying to determine.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
That's dedication......you are going to wear that thing out.
I hear you on needing to clean. I have a modest amount of guns in a climate controlled safe. I will get the "urge" to go right through the safe and thoroughly clean them all several times a year. Once I start to think about it I will get a nagging feeling that I need to check them all out. Love the smell of gun oil almost as much as gun powder.
I see I'm not alone. Even though I know my guns are cleaned before they go in the safe I check them all, especially the safe queens to make sure they are all OK. Even if it just means running an oiled patch down the bore and a surface wipe.