Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Well that did it...... >

Well that did it......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well that did it......

Old 12-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well that did it......

Looks like any more shooting this year has went east with the storm. Won't be able to get on the club's range until spring and after the roads harden up. Even hanging a target here at home will require a snowmobile to hang a target.
I've seen wet snow before, but not like this. We ended up with 10" of snow, wet from top to bottom. To wet to push with the 800 and plow, to wet to blow over 6 or 8'.

Looks like I'll just be cleaning for the rest of the winter........
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Banned

A lil snow scared ya off?!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

10"? Those are flurry's.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

10" is flurries.. I remember one year where we were getting 24" every weekend for a month back in '94 & '96
10"-12" is nothing. Grab the snow shovel and use some back muscle and get it cleaned up. Put on your boots and make a path to hang your target.
Heck Pete, I bet you even hunted in snow deeper than 10". I know I did.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
10"? Those are flurry's.
No, now boys read it again. 10" of snow isn't anything, its nothing more than a dusting, I agree.

However.......... this is 10" of SLUSH, not dry snow. There's a difference. Even you youngsters won't be walking far in that.

Shovel it? I have a challenge for any one of you. You shovel my 100yd range, I'll buy your airline ticket to a very warm place.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 12-29-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

The water will drain from the snow. Then shovel it.

It's still just 10". Mountains here get 10'.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

I spent 16 days in the Caribbean just recently, Im tired of the hot.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The water will drain from the snow. Then shovel it.

It's still just 10". Mountains here get 10'.
Totally different type of snow.

The forecast isn't going to help us. Buddy just called and told me he's been pulling guys that were plowing out with his backhoe all day. We've also had 11" of rain already this month, with temps in the 50's right up until this snow. You couldn't drive off the hard pack with a dozer without getting stuck. No frozen ground, its completely saturated. I'd take 20 to 30" of dry snow any day.
Honestly, I've never seen it like this, ever. Its not the dry snow that most experience. Now most know what a grain shovel is right? You couldn't pick one of those up with a full scoop of this slush.
The club's range will be shut completely down for the winter after this, so there's no long range shooting anyplace. If it would get down into the teens, well then you could walk on top it but, I'm not lugging all that equipment a 1/2 mile through cedar swamp drive to get to the range either.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got a few inches of that wet crap here yesterday. Followed by "warmer" temps making it just a dang muddy mess. I would normally agree with the 10" being nothing to worry about but if he got 10" of the stuff we got I pity anyone having to deal with that. Especially if he didn't get the warmer temps..
Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I spent 16 days in the Caribbean just recently, Im tired of the hot.
Come on over and shovel out the range. Bring a rifle. I'll put you up and feed ya. Not responsible for heart attacks, bad backs or any other shoveling related injuries. It would be worth it to watch, record and post. I'd pay money for that.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.