Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 12-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I never got one of those. Not sure why it should be different, but who knows with CVA?
Pete,

Pardon my question, but is there some reason not to use the BH209-style breech plug with other powders? If not, why wouldn't CVA do the 209 type as a running production change?

OldBob
Old 12-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Not sure why they dont come with the tool
because they want to make it difficult i guess ?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

Pardon my question, but is there some reason not to use the BH209-style breech plug with other powders? If not, why wouldn't CVA do the 209 type as a running production change?

OldBob
Because more guys use pellets. If you used the BH 209 BP with pellets you'd have a large air gap between the pellet and flame hole.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Because more guys use pellets. If you used the BH 209 BP with pellets you'd have a large air gap between the pellet and flame hole.
Pete,

OK, looking at some pictures, that makes sense. I was thinking loose powder. I never understood the pellet thing. I would think premeasuring your charges into some of those plastic vials would be better. Pellets look like they would not stand up to much handling.

OldBob

Last edited by OldBob47; 12-26-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: clumsy sentence
Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

OldBob
I really do not no that much about a CVA and really do not want to, but normally a Pellet plug has a flat face and loose powder plugs have a concave face. But that is not the only problem when shooting BH in a regular breech plug. Open the flash channel from 3mm to approximately 5/32" helps a lot. Installation of a vent liner with the correct size touch hole is also very important. Because of the intense heat created BH a hardened domed ventliner will more lifetime to the touch hole. I remember reading which setup Muley recommended either the Western Powder plug or the CVA plug. I would believe that Muley knows which one might be best. And possibly the best alternative is to have Ron modify your current plug and order some vent liners from Lehigh, Dave just made another run of them harden to withstand the temp and pressures of smokeless power in a Savage.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-26-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Banned

ive had pellet problems shooting the bh209 plug. Thats one reason why they wont change it and when they are toting whitehot pellets, it wouldnt make sense.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I really do not no that much about a CVA and really do not want to, but normally a Pellet plug has a flat face and loose powder plugs have a concave face. But that is not the only problem when shooting BH in a regular breech plug. Open the flash channel from 3mm to approximately 5/32" helps a lot. Installation of a vent liner with the correct size touch hole is also very important. Because of the intense heat created BH a hardened domed ventliner will more lifetime to the touch hole. I remember reading which setup Muley recommended either the Western Powder plug or the CVA plug. I would believe that Muley knows which one might be best. And possibly the best alternative is to have Ron modify your current plug and order some vent liners from Lehigh, Dave just made another run of them harden to withstand the temp and pressures of smokeless power in a Savage.
sabotloader,

Sorry, I was just curious. I don't need a 209 breechplug for a CVA myself.

OldBob
Old 12-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the record the Western is better than the CVA version. However, Rons modified BP is better than both, because of the vent liner.

It's easier to clean, because you can remove the vent liner, and then just put in a new vent liner when it starts to wear. Which are cheap. With the CVA and Western BP's you have to replace the whole BP when it wears.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Banned

my worn out plugs shoot better than these plugs with new vent liners and thats the funny part.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

There has to be a point when it won't. I don't know how big it would have to get for that to happen. It's just like a nipple on a sidelock. Once the whole gets too big it starts to slow fire, or even misfire.

Treso is known to be a good nipple, and the hole is smaller to start then other nipples. It's like a valve on a water hose. The smaller the hole that farther the water shoots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.