Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The truth about muzzleloading!!! >

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I look at that plastic skirt as functionally nothing more than a patch used as a wad with the exception of being semi attached to the bullet. They do fly well out of my 50 cal TC, load easily but at least IMO don't perform on game as well as a saboted Barnes which load really hard out of my 50 cal. My problem using them for hunting is the difficulty of reloading in the field if needed. If I foul a barrel then load for the hunt that 3rd load if necessary is hard.
I've considered using an non hollow point PB as a finisher if necessary for quicker follow-up. Also make sure it has high SD.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Haven't thought of that...interesting. That's the fun part about ML shooting. Improve one aspect and it impacts another. The ying and yang of it all. I wonder if there ever will be the "perfect fit" on any given gun. Probably so but at a cost of time and money. I am mainly a hunter not a shooter and I am not as dedicated or have the time to fine tune to the extent that many of the experts on this forum do. Fun to learn from your posts though.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's much easier to get a proper fit with a PRB, which is why it's my favorite load.

At my hunting range they work perfect. Simple pimple.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

CI, just a couple of additional thoughts. While my above statement is a nice option, hunt conditions definitely have an impact on application of the above. If the animal is down and requires a finisher, that's fine. If the animal takes the first shot and remains on it feet or is still able to move off, follow up shot distance becomes very important. In this case, the trajectory of the follow-up load must be known. Bullets of like SD don't always have similar flight characteristics. This is more critical with bullets of greater SD difference. If you hunt elk and whitetail w/your MZ, this is more important to consider. With whitetail, SD spread may not be as critical, but verify that trajectory is similar between bullet brands. It is a viable option, keeping in mind that first shot is most important.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 12-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

If someone is really concerned about a 2nd shot with a muzzleloader. They should use BH 209, and same bullet for both shots. Using different bullets adds too many problems.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah the follow up killing shot if necessary at close range wouldn't matter but a second shot if needed should be the same bullet/ load. I always used Pyrodex loose and pellets with both my 54 and 50. I never tried any other propellant and from what I understand the Pyrodex is one that leaves the most fouling. I just hate to switch since I have quite a bit of both forms. I understand the BH209 is cleaner. What are the pros and cons with respect to a comparison with Pyrodex.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If someone is really concerned about a 2nd shot with a muzzleloader. They should use BH 209, and same bullet for both shots. Using different bullets adds too many problems.
That make sense, Pete. However, with my Omega, it was somewhat difficult to load Barnes 250 gr. Expander MZ's even w/a clean barrel. BH 209 is a great powder but the issue is bigger than that.
One thing I can say about PB's is that loading them was easier.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

CI

BH is much more powerful than Pyrodex.

Non corrosive, or very close to it. That's important if you hunt with a fouled bore.

Doesn't absorb moisture.

Very consistent accuracy. I'd say better than any other sub.

No swabbing ever needed when shooting.

Doesn't make breech plugs stick. On a CVA I run the BP bone dry.

The only con is it's expensive.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-16-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

How much more is it and does it come with pellets? If more powerful does the amount change much from Pyrodex and how do you get a comparable load. I know many of the experienced guys like loose powder for consistency but a few of my hunting experiences with my 54 which I loaded with loose are laughable. Couple the excitement, cold hands and the sight picture of a shaking hunter standing in snow with a big black stain on the snow all around the gun is priceless.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-16-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Yeah the follow up killing shot if necessary at close range wouldn't matter but a second shot if needed should be the same bullet/ load. I always used Pyrodex loose and pellets with both my 54 and 50. I never tried any other propellant and from what I understand the Pyrodex is one that leaves the most fouling. I just hate to switch since I have quite a bit of both forms. I understand the BH209 is cleaner. What are the pros and cons with respect to a comparison with Pyrodex.
I don't use Pyrodex , so can't speak on it w/practical experience. I use the Barnes product as it comes but some of these other guys (the 5 percenters?) change the sabot to improve bore fit. As w/most things BP, finding the best solution is going to take experimentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.