Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Good Post Muley.

Keep one thing in mind when talking about any bullet. Equal powder charges of course. If you have a 100grn bullet, and move up to a 200grn bullet you double the energy. But if you have a 100grn bullet, and you double the speed of that bullet, you quadruple the energy. Speed kills, and it wouldn't be any different with a PRB.
Yes, but the light bullet won't have the momentum of the heavier bullet to penetrate. That's why slow heavy conicals work so well.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob,

A bit more to help you understand where i'm coming from. I honestly believe I was born 200 years too late. I love the fur trade/ mountain man era. I can honestly say if I was given the choice to go back to those times to live my life over I wouldn't hesitate a nano second to say yes. So, while i'm not making believe i'm a mountain man living in 1830. I'm living a modern version of a mountain man. It's what I enjoy. Going to black powder shoots with like minded guys and gals is a ton of fun. I want to get more into going to rendezvous too. Some go to those who just make believe for just the week of the event. others live the lifestyle full time, or at least a modern version of the lifestyle. I fit into the latter, and i'll get deeper and deeper into it until i'm in character full time. Yes, that means walking around in buckskins full time, trapping etc.

It's my chosen lifestyle, and there's a lot of guys in the area who think the same way. Now, you wouldn't expect me to shoot any weapon other than a period correct rifle would you? Of course that doesn't mean i'll use a weapon that isn't humane to the game. I'm a hunter, and I would have been a hunter back then too. The brigades all had a couple of full time hunters that would kill the game for the rest of the brigade. It could be as big as 100 men. a lot of hunting, and to use a weapon that didn't work was unheard of. Only a few had .50 cal Hawkens. It was the best you could buy back then. I think it still is now too.

This is where I hang out most of the year, and where i'll be hunting next fall. I'm also doing my best to find a cabin in the area to live in full time. These pictures are a ghost town. It was a mining town in it's day. I'd like to leve somewhere near it, but have more solitude that this town gets. It's at 10,000ft.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-21-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gorgeous country Pete and I can't fault you at all for wanting to live there to do "your thing"!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice camera.... not too shabby. But the one that Jon has is much el-grande, much-spectacular.

I want one just like his when I grow up. But I would take yours as a Christmas present and never complain.

I am envious of where you hang your hat. Beautiful countryside there and next time leave the key somewhere for those two kids that are locked out.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-21-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Naw! I don't take pictures, or even own a camera. I'd rather just be there, and rarely show what i'm doing. I did this time to help Bob understand. Not sure it helped.

These are available, because of the ghost town. I just wanted to show the area, and these pictures are better than trying to describe it.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Banned

awww shucks! stop all that complimenting!

This one is from petes hunting area when we all came down for deer and elk hunting. Pretty place to explore!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I envy you guys!!! Just plain beautiful.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Great pics guys!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I can find a spot to live there i'm going to have to get a mule. It will make life easier for these old bones.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will a .300 mag kill a deer at 100yds better than a 30-06?
Several years ago i took a long time hunter friend hog hunting for the first time. We were in a blind overlooking 160 acres of wheat. Told where to shoot hogs but he argued with me.

He shot a 250 pound hog square in the guts with a .300 Winchester Magnum. The hog ran about 300 yards into a thicket. We bounced it out of the thicket and he gut shot it again. Finally he shot the hog in the head.

The guy wanted me to field dress his hog. Told him to field dress the animal under instruction. He retched and gagged the whole time while in green slime up to his elbows.

Last edited by falcon; 12-21-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.