Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default Marble Bullseye

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No you can't. Wet newspaper is a torture test, and is not the same as what happens on an animal. The PRB expands just right at all the distances that I hunt. My limit is the open sights. Not the PRB. I've said all this already. Can't you read all the posts, and give one response? I've got stuff to do.

I'm gone.
Pete,

This sight is a forward mounted peep. I don't think it would be as good as a back-in-your-face regular peep, but its got to be an improvement on any open sight. The thing that I like is that it looks like a full buckhorn sight. Worth a shot.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

round balls expand extremely well in game. One that I removed was a .570" ball and when recovered, was well over 80cal in diameter. Well over 2 1/2 feet of penetration as well. Shot straight through the chest and recovered resting against the ham bone.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

AInt noone on here going to jump on you Mike. No reason to. You stated your opinion in such a way as to not be "preachy" nor condemn those that choose to use PRB equipment. You are actually 100% correct in your observation in my own little ignorant opinion. Bob, on the other hand, condemns all who choose to use this method. Like you, I prefer more modern bullets and platforms but am well versed in PRB usage (granted it's been many years) and have USED them on live game many times in the past. I just feel it is just ridiculous for someone with no experience with something to come along and condemn it just because they read a book or someone "told" them something.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned

Default You think?

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
well in the mountain man days they were still using old school technology Flintlock while percussions had been around for the quite a while. Why? That new fangled technology ran outta caps at some point while that flintlock could work with some sort of rock they could find. They were very slow at adapting to the percussion lock.
MD54,

Check on the rarity of flintlock Hawken rifles. Although, we didn't have an army of trappers with Hawken rifles. Apparently the Leman rifle was a bit more common. I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is much more representative of what many people were using. Its a simple piece. Pictures I've seen seem to show a single wedge, single trigger design, with enough space in the guard for a gloved finger. Having to take your glove off to shoot could get downright painful, during a Rocky Mountain Winter.

Somewhere I read of the inventory of percussion caps at St. Lou. Bazzillions! I agree with your logic, and had I been alive then, I think I would have done exactly what you suggest. But ours would have been a minority opinion.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default I'm old!

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No you can't. Wet newspaper is a torture test, and is not the same as what happens on an animal. The PRB expands just right at all the distances that I hunt. My limit is the open sights. Not the PRB. I've said all this already. Can't you read all the posts, and give one response? I've got stuff to do.

I'm gone.
Pete,

You're asking a lot of an old man's memory! Plus, I'm such a slow typist that by the time I get done with a long post, the thing asks me to log in. I've lost lengthy posts this way.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBob47
MD54,

Check on the rarity of flintlock Hawken rifles. Although, we didn't have an army of trappers with Hawken rifles. Apparently the Leman rifle was a bit more common. I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is much more representative of what many people were using. Its a simple piece. Pictures I've seen seem to show a single wedge, single trigger design, with enough space in the guard for a gloved finger. Having to take your glove off to shoot could get downright painful, during a Rocky Mountain Winter.

Somewhere I read of the inventory of percussion caps at St. Lou. Bazzillions! I agree with your logic, and had I been alive then, I think I would have done exactly what you suggest. But ours would have been a minority opinion.

OldBob
the deal with every mountain man having a hawken is phoney. They were at the top after the era of the mountain men. Leman and many many many other rifles were used back in those days including british guns as well as french guns. A hawken cost double sometimes x3 as much as your typical rifle of the day.

I live in the rockies and hunt the cold weather with a hawken. Hunting with gloves or mittens is very typical and pretty obvious what a hunter does in order to safely pull the trigger. Not sure what warm season you hunt where gloves are not needed.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Banned

Default Fmj

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
AInt noone on here going to jump on you Mike. No reason to. You stated your opinion in such a way as to not be "preachy" nor condemn those that choose to use PRB equipment. You are actually 100% correct in your observation in my own little ignorant opinion. Bob, on the other hand, condemns all who choose to use this method. Like you, I prefer more modern bullets and platforms but am well versed in PRB usage (granted it's been many years) and have USED them on live game many times in the past. I just feel it is just ridiculous for someone with no experience with something to come along and condemn it just because they read a book or someone "told" them something.
SH54,

I would no more use a PBR than I would an FMJ on game. Now I know how an FMJ works, with its center of mass behind its center of form. Any deflection turns it into a buzzsaw, so the theory goes. And I know that every nation on Earth worked to perfect this action, once the Geneva Convention made expanding bullets illegal. And I know that this style of bullet killed a great many soldiers, perhaps millions. So it would be ridiculous to question the lethality of that bullet type. However, I think most if not all of the game commissions in the US have outlawed them for hunting. I don't know if their reasons are the same as my reasons, and my objections to them are different from my objections to the PRB. But I have never used them for hunting, and I never will.

To be polite, I have to tell tou that I am NOT trying to set you up. Say, if you reply, "I think FMJs should be outlawed for hunting." Then I say, "Why? you've never used them, but you don't question their lethality. Why should they be banned?" This line of reasoning could be extended to many things that are currently banned from our hunting fields.

As I've said before, you want to use a flint? Bravo! Its the longest-serving fire control system in the history of arms. You want to use a Matchlock? Its not for me, but I applaud you. The thing is, your choice of fire control system has scant effect on how humanely you can harvest game. The load you choose to send on its way has EVERYTHING to do with that. There's better things you can load that will probably be more effective than the PRB.

You cite my lack of experience with the PRB as a reason to dismiss my viewpoint about same, but if you know that I consider their use to be wrong, why would you ever expect me to use them? Do you think I would ever do or recommend to someone else that they use such a thing to harvest game? I can't imagine why you would think that.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Default Indian Trade Rifle

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
the deal with every mountain man having a hawken is phoney. They were at the top after the era of the mountain men. Leman and many many many other rifles were used back in those days including british guns as well as french guns. A hawken cost double sometimes x3 as much as your typical rifle of the day.

I live in the rockies and hunt the cold weather with a hawken. Hunting with gloves or mittens is very typical and pretty obvious what a hunter does in order to safely pull the trigger. Not sure what warm season you hunt where gloves are not needed.
MD54,

Yeah, to me its very obvious. You buy a rifle with enough space in the trigger guard so that you do not have to remove your gloves to shoot. This was something I checked out when I bought my last crossbow. That's why I don't understand the double set triggers on the "Hawken" replicas. You can't get your gloved finger in the trigger guard, and if you remove your glove, in short order you won't be able to feel the set trigger. Makes no sense.

Ever see a set trigger on a crossbow? Even the most expensive ones? There's a reason for that . . .

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

well you just don't know how to adapt my friend.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OldBob47
SH54,

I would no more use a PBR than I would an FMJ on game. Now I know how an FMJ works, with its center of mass behind its center of form. Any deflection turns it into a buzzsaw, so the theory goes. And I know that every nation on Earth worked to perfect this action, once the Geneva Convention made expanding bullets illegal. And I know that this style of bullet killed a great many soldiers, perhaps millions. So it would be ridiculous to question the lethality of that bullet type. However, I think most if not all of the game commissions in the US have outlawed them for hunting. I don't know if their reasons are the same as my reasons, and my objections to them are different from my objections to the PRB. But I have never used them for hunting, and I never will.

To be polite, I have to tell tou that I am NOT trying to set you up. Say, if you reply, "I think FMJs should be outlawed for hunting." Then I say, "Why? you've never used them, but you don't question their lethality. Why should they be banned?" This line of reasoning could be extended to many things that are currently banned from our hunting fields.

As I've said before, you want to use a flint? Bravo! Its the longest-serving fire control system in the history of arms. You want to use a Matchlock? Its not for me, but I applaud you. The thing is, your choice of fire control system has scant effect on how humanely you can harvest game. The load you choose to send on its way has EVERYTHING to do with that. There's better things you can load that will probably be more effective than the PRB.

You cite my lack of experience with the PRB as a reason to dismiss my viewpoint about same, but if you know that I consider their use to be wrong, why would you ever expect me to use them? Do you think I would ever do or recommend to someone else that they use such a thing to harvest game? I can't imagine why you would think that.

OldBob
And therein lies you problem Bob. You believe all this complete horse pucky you read about the lack of effectiveness they have on game and then, not only do you believe it, you try to preach to others who have actually used the damn things trying to tell them they don't work!! Do you not see the missed mark there Bob? Do I need to slow it down for you to understand that you are typing to a group of highly experienced people here that have experience with the things that you are trying to preach against. We have told you we know better than what you are preaching because WE HAVE USED THEM SUCCESSFULLY!!! We haven't read about them online or in a history book or some other science book that was probably written by someone just like you with absolutely no practical application experience with his/her subject matter. No one has said there aren't better options to be used. I personally use those better options. But you wont see me standing on a soap box trying to tell others that what they are using is ineffective and calling them unethical for using equipment that they KNOW how to use and use it WITHIN it's limitations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.