Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Default Ergonomics

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
well you just don't know how to adapt my friend.
MD54,

Yes I know how to adapt. I don't adapt to them; I adapt them to me. This is called "ergonomics." I can't think of any polite word for the reverse situation.

OldBob
Old 12-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Banned

i'll educate you tomorrow when I have faster internet to upload pictures and show you how real hunters adapt to the cold and shoot double set triggers.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't you guys ever sleep? Wow.... went to bed watching the end of the Denver game and you guys are ripping up the bandwidth long into the night. I have to hand it to ya...dedicated. Nice job by the way debating the issue.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-21-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The Lewis & Clark expedition learned the hard way that their prb was inadequate for killing Grizzly.

I believe this is a fact.

Me, i have no experience with prb, and have no opinion of prb. I don't believe i am knocking a bullet choice, but i do believe i am ignorant. What i wrote may not be relevant, or nice, but i couldn't find the fishing section.
The problem is that we don't really know what caliber Lewis & Clark carried, so how do we know how to evaluate the effectiveness???

I have a copy of the first year of the Long Hunter Society, which is the record book of the NMLRA...In it, the largest grizzly killed was killed with a .530 patched ball and 120grs FFF...
Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pete that's not what I said, a 50 is better than a 40 or 45 but its effectiveness drops quickly between 50 and 75 yds. its a decent deer gun for what I consider close range, if loaded right.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
The problem is that we don't really know what caliber Lewis & Clark carried, so how do we know how to evaluate the effectiveness???

I have a copy of the first year of the Long Hunter Society, which is the record book of the NMLRA...In it, the largest grizzly killed was killed with a .530 patched ball and 120grs FFF...

Pehaps this LINK will provide some useful information??
Old 12-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Pete that's not what I said, a 50 is better than a 40 or 45 but its effectiveness drops quickly between 50 and 75 yds. its a decent deer gun for what I consider close range, if loaded right.

I respect you Lee, so I won't talk to you like I do Bob who has zero experience on the topic.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever shot an elk at less than 75yds with a .50 PRB? I'm sure you know that ballistic charts are useless when you're trying to figure out the effectiveness of a round ball. The charts are made for CF guns, and maybe they help with modern muzzy guns and bullets too, but not a round ball. The round ball performs way better than the uninformed can imagine. I'm not sure why, and i've never heard a good explanation explaining it. It's just something a PRB shooter knows.

Even the bigger .58 PRB look pathetic on paper, but in practice knocks game on their butts, and few will get back up. When I started to use a PRB to hunt I had my doubts too, but when I witnessed them working I changed my mind fast.

Bob preaches as others do that more modern guns are more effective. Yes, they are for longer ranges. Will a .300 mag kill a deer at 100yds better than a 30-06? Not really if they both use the same weight bullet. Will the .300 mag kill better at 600yds than the 30-06? Yes, i'm sure it does. It's main advantage is distance.

A PRB has many advantages, but has one glaring disadvantage. Distance! Take too long of a shot, and odds go way up for failure. A maxiball will be much better at longer ranges. Does it kill any better at short ranges than a PRB? Not sure what better is if the PRB kills the game?

So, the bottom line is will the .54/.58 kill better than the .50 PRB? Yes, they will at longer ranges. Do they work better at shorter ranges? There we go again with what is better if the .50 kills?

It can even be applied to bows. If a 50lb bow puts the arrow through the elk. How would using a 70lb bow be any better? It's better, because it can put the arrow through the elk at a longer distance. Distance is always the difference.

Of course this can go to the extreme the other way too. No matter how close the shot is a .40 PRB is a horrible choice for elk. Common sense goes a long way in chosen what you hunt with.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-21-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley I have to agree 100% with everything you said. You've made your point and validated what just about everyone who uses the PRB thinks. Anyone who doesn't understand what you're saying is ignorant to the effectiveness of the PRB and there is no sense continuing the conversation.
As one of our fellow members often quotes "shedding light on a subject does little for the blind".
Old 12-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I respect you Lee, so I won't talk to you like I do Bob who has zero experience on the topic.

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever shot an elk at less than 75yds with a .50 PRB? I'm sure you know that ballistic charts are useless when you're trying to figure out the effectiveness of a round ball. The charts are made for CF guns, and maybe they help with modern muzzy guns and bullets too, but not a round ball. The round ball performs way better than the uninformed can imagine. I'm not sure why, and i've never heard a good explanation explaining it. It's just something a PRB shooter knows.

Even the bigger .58 PRB look pathetic on paper, but in practice knocks game on their butts, and few will get back up. When I started to use a PRB to hunt I had my doubts too, but when I witnessed them working I changed my mind fast.

Bob preaches as others do that more modern guns are more effective. Yes, they are for longer ranges. Will a .300 mag kill a deer at 100yds better than a 30-06? Not really if they both use the same weight bullet. Will the .300 mag kill better at 600yds than the 30-06? Yes, i'm sure it does. It's main advantage is distance.

A PRB has many advantages, but has one glaring disadvantage. Distance! Take too long of a shot, and odds go way up for failure. A maxiball will be much better at longer ranges. Does it kill any better at short ranges than a PRB? Not sure what better is if the PRB kills the game?

So, the bottom line is will the .54/.58 kill better than the .50 PRB? Yes, they will at longer ranges. Do they work better at shorter ranges? There we go again with what is better if the .50 kills?

It can even be applied to bows. If a 50lb bow puts the arrow through the elk. How would using a 70lb bow be any better? It's better, because it can put the arrow through the elk at a longer distance. Distance is always the difference.

Of course this can go to the extreme the other way too. No matter how close the shot is a .40 PRB is a horrible choice for elk. Common sense goes a long way in chosen what you hunt with.
Good Post Muley.

Keep one thing in mind when talking about any bullet. Equal powder charges of course. If you have a 100grn bullet, and move up to a 200grn bullet you double the energy. But if you have a 100grn bullet, and you double the speed of that bullet, you quadruple the energy. Speed kills, and it wouldn't be any different with a PRB.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by OldBob47
rafsob,

In accordance with my beliefs, I abstain from mind-altering substances. I would not make this a blanket recommendation for everyone, but you might want to consider it. The clarity of mind that it would give you would allow your native talents and abilities to come forth. You could be making posts with a lot of information, or witty posts, rather than the embarrassingly feeble personal attacks we have witnessed here.

OldBob
Where I come from we don't talk down to people. It is considered being not nice. And as far as personal attacks, you seem to be the only one doing that.

I'm a bow hunter and will only shoot my arrows inside 35 yds. I have not tried to hunt with my sidelocks using a PRB. But if I did, I would more then likely use the same ethic as bow hunting and not try taking a long distance shot.

As a new guy it would be good advice to sit down and listen more to the conversation and what is being said, then jumping in there and attacking the way some people hunt and with what they use to do it with. If you don't like to hunt PRB, great, use what you like and have fun. If not then try keeping your ideas to yourself and hunt your way and be happy!

If you took this advice to heart maybe the others wouldn't be talking about you and your trying to press your ideas about how bad it is using PRB's! Ideas and thoughts are great, but a lot of folks don't take it kindly when their way of hunting is attacked!!!!!

Not trying to make this look like a personal attack but some friendly advice from an old guy!!

Shoot straight and have fun in the woods! Merry Christmas my friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.