Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
4 Whitetail doe
2 Whitetail Bucks
3 Cow Elk
2 Bull Moose
2 Black Bear
10 or 12 Hogs

All this was a LONG time ago when I was heavily into BP and hunted primarily with that or my Recurve. The past year or so has seen me getting back into BP on the modern side of the scale. I sold all my old BP guns years ago (and I sorely regret 2 or 3 of those sales) except for the newer TC Hawken Frankenstein rifle with the GM 1:28 twist barrel and I bought a TC Pro Hunter system and purchased a .50cal barrel for that. While I no longer hunt with a PRB, I have the utmost respect for those that do as I know for a fact how close you need to get and how choosy one has to be with shot placement. That's mostly why I get so riled up when people with absolutely NO experience with a PRB setup step up in here railing against everyone who uses them saying they have no place in the hunting community.
Obviously Bob saying a PRB was unethical was pretty stupid. But I think he supplied a lot of other good information.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm guessing not many.
I was counting dead deer one afternoon, perched up in a tree stand and staring at the woods. I have easily taken more then 10 deer with roundball. Three in one year, two with one shot, and countless does that were were forced to shoot before we could hunt a buck. The roundball never seemed to have a problem harvesting any of them.

Back to buffalo/Bison. When we were visiting South Dakota one year, we went out to fish at Mobridge, and ended up touring the black hills too. I had a Bison steak that was out of this world at a restaurant. Tender, not dried out, just a real wonderful meal. Then the girlfriend and I stopped at a little cafe for lunch and had a buffalo burger. That has to be the most nasty thing I ever tried to eat. Normally I can stomach anything but that was one time I just refused to eat it. To be honest it kind of smelt funny. Yet we purchased some buffalo steaks to cook on our grill (we were camping) and while tough to chew were very good. Buffalo seemed to me to be a "guessing game of what you would eat."
Old 12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
4 Whitetail doe
2 Whitetail Bucks
3 Cow Elk
2 Bull Moose
2 Black Bear
10 or 12 Hogs

All this was a LONG time ago when I was heavily into BP and hunted primarily with that or my Recurve. The past year or so has seen me getting back into BP on the modern side of the scale. I sold all my old BP guns years ago (and I sorely regret 2 or 3 of those sales) except for the newer TC Hawken Frankenstein rifle with the GM 1:28 twist barrel and I bought a TC Pro Hunter system and purchased a .50cal barrel for that. While I no longer hunt with a PRB, I have the utmost respect for those that do as I know for a fact how close you need to get and how choosy one has to be with shot placement. That's mostly why I get so riled up when people with absolutely NO experience with a PRB setup step up in here railing against everyone who uses them saying they have no place in the hunting community.
I see you don't agree with my signature.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Obviously Bob saying a PRB was unethical was pretty stupid. But I think he supplied a lot of other good information.
Sorry Grouse, he may possibly have provided some useful insight on some things but something said that is bright is left fairly dimmed when it follows something stupid.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default Stupid?

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I don't know. I have mentioned the problem I have with 3 deer that hang out on my property. I see them almost every day. They've been as close as 20-25 yards to me when I'm mowing my grass. I've taken the dogs outside when the deer are there, and nothing happens. Not that it couldn't; a Great Dane at full throttle covers ground really quickly. The deer are not hand tame, and I would not reduce their fear(?) of humans any more just to prove to myself that I could do it. I've watched the two fawns grow up this year, so in a way Pete and I have the same dilemma, only for him its the idea of shooting a calf elk.

Should I shoot one of them? Some would say yes, and I can't disagree with that assessment. I may do that someday. But as long as I have a question about whether or not it is the right thing to do, the crossbow will stay on the hooks. So it is with the PRB. I don't think it is right to use them, so I never have and never will. My scorecard is not about absolute numbers (most of you here seem to share that viewpoint) but about making the most good, clean shots. Someday in the not to distant future I will have gone on my last hunt, and in the days after that I want nothing but good memories. This means I must hunt in a manner that I consider ethical.

As Pete pointed out a few thousand posts ago, once you have a piece of archery gear that gives you complete passthroughs, any more is superfluous . No Matrix 405 for this old boy! Even with one of those, hitting where you want to requires knowing the range to the target. "Flat shooting" is a ludicrous concept with any sort of archery. So unless I can hunt in a manner that allows me to make use of a rangefinder, I'll go back and sit on the porch. If I can't do it right, I won't do it at all.

OldBob
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Flat shooting" is a ludicrous concept with any sort of archery
I've got 2 bows in the locker that would argue that point strenuously. Both are set up with single pin usage from 0 to 40 yards. 4 inches difference in that range. Meaning I can hold center on pretty much any shot within 40 yards and decimate lungs on whitetail and up. So no, it isn't ludicrous by any means in the range of 40 yards and in. BTW, both those bows push my hunting rig arrows at approximately 311 and 317 fps. I don't shoot past 40 yards for pass through performance reasons. Past 40 yards and the odds of complete pass through lower quite a bit.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

A single pin means it won't be more than 4" above or below center in 40yds? If that's the case. You can hardly call it flat shooting.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I take it to be a 4" drop from 10 to 40yds. Sounds pretty flat to me when thinking in terms of a bow.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
mmmmmmm liver and onions!
Yes, w/plenty of gravy on top. But only store bought beef or chicken for me.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I was counting dead deer one afternoon, perched up in a tree stand and staring at the woods. I have easily taken more then 10 deer with roundball. Three in one year, two with one shot, and countless does that were were forced to shoot before we could hunt a buck. The roundball never seemed to have a problem harvesting any of them.

Back to buffalo/Bison. When we were visiting South Dakota one year, we went out to fish at Mobridge, and ended up touring the black hills too. I had a Bison steak that was out of this world at a restaurant. Tender, not dried out, just a real wonderful meal. Then the girlfriend and I stopped at a little cafe for lunch and had a buffalo burger. That has to be the most nasty thing I ever tried to eat. Normally I can stomach anything but that was one time I just refused to eat it. To be honest it kind of smelt funny. Yet we purchased some buffalo steaks to cook on our grill (we were camping) and while tough to chew were very good. Buffalo seemed to me to be a "guessing game of what you would eat."
On another thread I started about game meats eaten, I listed Bison as one I'd like to try. Reading your post, I was t reminded of the Red Robin restaurant chain that use to sell bison burgers. Come to think of it, I've eaten 3 or 4 bison burgers. Theirs had less flavor than beef. It was still very good though, and quite lean. No doubt it's a very healthy meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.