Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default Yeah, I sure do.

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Some think the PRB is a poor choice to hunt with. It's true that they aren't for long range, but within their range they can get it done.

Looky...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hun...lintlock-rifle
Muley,

Surprised? I didn't think so. Just as one failure with a particular bullet does not mean that all of them are trash, neither does one success validate the use of similar bullets. This was what I was trying to bring out in a previous thread. I realize that many people are committed to a binary, either-or choice; just look at politics. I can't convince anyone on either side of a fence to examine their viewpoint. What I was hoping to do was to get those people who do not have an emotional investment in their choice to look at the question scientifically, and come to a conclusion that is unaffected by prior bias.

To me, this is a question of ethics. I remember many years ago standing by a tree, in the waning light of the last day of deer season. On a gentle rise, a moderate distance away, was a doe. Her position afforded me only a skyline shot, which I did not take. I hoped she would come down over the hill, giving me a shot with a good backstop. She went down over the rise, but the other way! Oh, well.

I don't tell you this story to impress you with what an ethical hunter I am; I'm sure a great many of you would have made the same choice. I tell you this so that you might examine the ethics of your choice of load.

Just think of how many good conicals you could get by melting down all those roundballs!

OldBob
Old 12-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need to examine my ethics in this case. I've used enough PRB's to know they work fine when the hunter does everything else right.

I posted this to simply show a PRB can kill an elk like this. Some think they don't have enough power to kill a doe.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
How old are you! That's the 18th century.
Probably about your age....ancient
Old 12-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometime soon people will stop this stupid conversation and realize that our fore fathers hunted with PRB's and put a lot of food on the table!!! Everyone has his prejudices on the bullets they like. Don't knock another bullet choice, it only shows your ignorance!!!

Now if you really have something nice or relevant to add to this discussion without bashing someone else's choice of bullet, please do so. If not check out the fishing section or something!!! Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Relevant?

The Lewis & Clark expedition learned the hard way that their prb was inadequate for killing Grizzly.

I believe this is a fact.

Me, i have no experience with prb, and have no opinion of prb. I don't believe i am knocking a bullet choice, but i do believe i am ignorant. What i wrote may not be relevant, or nice, but i couldn't find the fishing section.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Ron. I wouldn't go after a grizzly with my gun, but luckily we don't have any where I live. At least that's what they say, and i've seen any sign.

Here's what they thought of grizzly back in the day.

“…more information pertaining to the grizzly than any other group of people during the nineteenth century. If a list describing the nature of the grizzly bear had been compiled by mountain men from their actual experiences and sent to St. Louis to serve as a warning to the greenhorn who would be coming to the summer rendezvous, the following images of the grizzly…could have been included: no fear of man, almost impossible to kill, expert swimmers, faster than our horses, unbelievable strength, kills bison, buries kill in hole, strikes with forepaw, will return and maul victim if tormented, will avoid man if possible, tears up ground when wounded, will attack gun when fired upon, attacks horses, attacks at night, cubs are ferocious, country abounds with, does not climb tree, must have guards around camp at night for protection against, must shoot in eye or just behind ear to kill, guns only infuriate, often plays dead, attacks with open mouth, drawn into camp by food cooking, poor eyesight, will try to dig up tree or break them down when trapper has sought their safety, bites and scratches at wound with claws, large as ox, person should stand and face if attacked, will come within a few yards and stand on hind legs and look you in the eye, if you run you’re dead, one shot thirty times before killed, trapper usually in shock for one-half hour after encounter with…” – Mountain Man & Grizzly, Pg. 10
Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I agree , scoped long shots belong in the rifle season not the muzzy season . Peep sight long shots belong in the muzzy season

Heck YA!!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!! Looks to be about 50% truth and 50% bull hocky in that one Pete. Me personally, I don't think I would intentionally go after a Brownie with a single shot ANYTHING. I don't care if it was a shoulder fired rocket launcher. Not without something for backup on my hip. Browns are a tough critter with some serious weapons of their own.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't trust the PRB. I shot a lot of them when I was a kid shooting rabbits and rock chucks. I have never personally hunted with them. I have helped a couple guys look for animals that they lost with a PRB.
I followed up an elk that was shot with a PRB. The hunter was with me for a while and I looked back and he had turned around and left. I met up with a friend and together we found the elk and he tagged it. It was shoulder shot and the ball didn't do the job.

I also followed up and elk shot with a 405 all lead power belt. The hunter shot and left. I saw the elk go down with my binoculars so I hiked there. The shooter was long gone and I was left with a dilemma. Do I finish off the elk and tag it or look for one that I shot on my own. I saw the elks head up and it was lying down in the brush. When I walked up it jumped up and ran and I shot it. It was hit in the hips and was hurt bad, and I think I made the right choice.

The fact is anyone can loose or kill any animal with any projectile. I hunt with only gear I have trust in. I don't hunt with a PRB and I don't hunt with Power Belts. I know both will cleanly take game but I don't have faith in them.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Taking a shoulder shot with a PRB is not smart. If that's what a hunter is going to do they're better off with a heavy conical.

I have enough self control to avoid shoulders. Plus, there's meat on the shoulder. Why shoot it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.