Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I eat what I kill, except bear. My dog is my whole family, and I also hunt to feed my family.

I'm probably done hunting for bear anyway.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Reading all these posts about not eating the meat of various critters, got me to thinking...... Who is closer to the real spirit of the mountain man, one who kills with a prb, and doesn't eat the meat, or one who kills using an AR type rifle, and does eat the meat of all the kills made??
Well Ron, if you want to get to the real nitty gritty truth, most mountain men were trappers by trade. Since I'm sure you know they didn't run the trap lines on a daily basis as they has strings all over the mountains, then it is very very doubtful they ate everything they killed. I'd be willing to bet that many Bear fell to "mountain men" that wasn't eaten.

You do realize that there is a HUGE difference between the "ideology" of the mountain man persona and the real thing right?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Banned

Default I can do something similar.

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've got 2 bows in the locker that would argue that point strenuously. Both are set up with single pin usage from 0 to 40 yards. 4 inches difference in that range. Meaning I can hold center on pretty much any shot within 40 yards and decimate lungs on whitetail and up. So no, it isn't ludicrous by any means in the range of 40 yards and in. BTW, both those bows push my hunting rig arrows at approximately 311 and 317 fps. I don't shoot past 40 yards for pass through performance reasons. Past 40 yards and the odds of complete pass through lower quite a bit.
SH54,

My main crossbow is a Parker Thunderhawk. This was one of my best purchases. Nice fellow at the store set it up, I took it home, and proceeded to shoot through the same hole. I got more anal later. Reading the forums about how bad the issue scopes were on crossbows, I did experiment. I ended up with the one it came with, works fine. I shoot Black Eagle Zombie Slayers (stupid name, good arrows) with Slick Trick 150 gr. I chronoed one at 289 FPS. I lost the next arrow. From a rest, I normally sight in at 30 yards, using the first dot down. Doing that, I can do the same thing you do from 0 to 40. Past that I would get a little antsy. At 50 I can begin to see the arrow "dropping" into the target, and at 60 its quite obvious. The reason I mention this is because where I see the deer, is around 60 yards from my back porch. If I do hunt them, I'm going to work a little harder to get closer.

OldBob
Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=

Basically when I was commenting on what Bob said, I was pointing out that as usual his "facts" were not up to snuff as there are many bows out there that shoot flat enough to make his statement of it being "ludicrous" incorrect.[/QUOTE]

SH54,

No, as usual my facts are accurate. Even your PBR at 1800 FPS will have about 1/6 the drop of a 300 FPS arrow. This means over any given distance the arrow will drop 6 times as much, approximately, because the time of flight will be 6 times greater. 32 feet per second per second: its the law (in this gravity well anyhow).

OldBob
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Banned

Default Crunching numbers . . .

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
An arrow will certainly drop more than 4" at 40 yds no matter how fast it goes. That is just physics. Arrows come off the string climb to the line of sight then fall as the trajectory completes as gravity takes over. To use a single pin successfully out to 40 yds the zero point (line of sight) has to be adjusted out past 20 yds to closer to 30. Similar to sighting in your ML to 2" high at 50 to be zero at 100. If you need more range then adjust higher at 50 to push the zero out. Arrow goes up then down. Total rise and drop will equal much more than 4" but it is possible to have a 4" drop at 40 from the zero point depending on the zero yardage. My own 1 pin set up is good to 33 yds. I know at 15-20 yds I will hit slightly high but still in the vitals.
CI,

Say you've got a bow that drives the arrow a bit over 300 FPS. Let's make an assumption that the arrow doesn't lose velocity very quickly, and averages 300 FPS over the 100 yard range. So, 300 foot range, 300 FPS, the arrow's time of flight will be 1 second. This means at 100 yards, the arrow's drop will be 32 feet. If we use the 40 yard range, the arrow's actual drop will be 32 X .4, 12.8 feet. If you increase the arrow's speed to 400 FPS, these figures become 24 feet at 100 yards, and 9.6 feet at 40 yards.

Just can't call this "flat shooting", huh?

OldBob
Old 12-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I eat what I kill, except bear. My dog is my whole family, and I also hunt to feed my family.

I'm probably done hunting for bear anyway.
Pete,

Only one dog? Remember, your newest best friend is waiting for you at the SPCA.

I don't want to put you on the spot, making you the Mule expert, but I volunteer at a horse rescue. I just started this recently. While I know next to nothing about horses, I do know those horses at the rescue, and have no difficulty. I can see where it might occur that we could get in a Mule(s). What would I need to know to provide care for a Mule? Are there any treats that are not recommended? I bring apples, pears, and fig newtons for the horses. All seem popular. I assume Blue Seal Trotter and regular hay would work for their regular ration, and we also have chopped alfalfa available.

OldBob
Old 12-24-2015, 03:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Reading all these posts about not eating the meat of various critters, got me to thinking...... Who is closer to the real spirit of the mountain man, one who kills with a prb, and doesn't eat the meat, or one who kills using an AR type rifle, and does eat the meat of all the kills made??
I am not a mountain man but my standards are to not kill what I don't eat.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might think otherwise, when you provide a meal for a missionary group of 10 homeless individuals.

I've been donating my harvests (here & there) for 25 years now. Other times, hunting cabin members will request my meat, which I do not eat.

One doesn't have to eat the harvest, to partake in the sport. As long as the food-source is still being dispensed, it's a wonderful experience for one's inner-self, especially when hunting season here in Michigan aligns itself with the Holidays giving season.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
You might think otherwise, when you provide a meal for a missionary group of 10 homeless individuals.

I've been donating my harvests (here & there) for 25 years now. Other times, hunting cabin members will request my meat, which I do not eat.

One doesn't have to eat the harvest, to partake in the sport. As long as the food-source is still being dispensed, it's a wonderful experience for one's inner-self, especially when hunting season here in Michigan aligns itself with the Holidays giving season.
I certainly am not talking about donating the meat Triple. I commend you for going something wonderful for others who aren't able to enjoy the bounty of wild game. A big salute to you sir. My comment was made with only myself in consideration. I don't hunt for animals I don't like to eat. For instance when I want to target practice I do it on paper not chucks. Just my own beliefs and not in any way judgmental to those who think differently.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
SH54,

My main crossbow is a Parker Thunderhawk. This was one of my best purchases. Nice fellow at the store set it up, I took it home, and proceeded to shoot through the same hole. I got more anal later. Reading the forums about how bad the issue scopes were on crossbows, I did experiment. I ended up with the one it came with, works fine. I shoot Black Eagle Zombie Slayers (stupid name, good arrows) with Slick Trick 150 gr. I chronoed one at 289 FPS. I lost the next arrow. From a rest, I normally sight in at 30 yards, using the first dot down. Doing that, I can do the same thing you do from 0 to 40. Past that I would get a little antsy. At 50 I can begin to see the arrow "dropping" into the target, and at 60 its quite obvious. The reason I mention this is because where I see the deer, is around 60 yards from my back porch. If I do hunt them, I'm going to work a little harder to get closer.

OldBob

Sorry Bob, but I have to say something about this. Killing game in your backyard is really lame, and not the sign of a fair chase hunter.

Leave them alone, and go do a real hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.