Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Do You Doubt The PRB? >

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do You Doubt The PRB?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never had bear, so can't say whether I'd like it or not.

But,,,
Liver & Onions - great dish with grits.
Venison - if you don't like it you haven't had it cooked properly or didn't process the meat properly after the kill.
Elk - haven't had much of it, but what I had was equal to quality beef.
Coon, possum, rattlesnake, alligator, duck, quail, dove, crawfish, oysters, garfish - all good.

Stuff I don't eat...... well, rocks and trees come to mind.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pete - I'm telling you. A bear roast trimmed of all fat and rubbed with oil and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper and Johnny's seasoning salt then seared in a hot pan and placed in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, 3 beef bullion cubes, a bay leaf, a teaspoon of minced garlic and a slice or two of onion. Cook for 55-60 mins and let pressure drop by itself and you will have the tastiest meat you ever ate. And it will fall apart.
This is the same recipe I use for beef and venison. It's delicious.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

BTW - how did we get from the effectiveness of the PRB to "the cooking forum"?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've never had bear, so can't say whether I'd like it or not.

But,,,
Liver & Onions - great dish with grits.
Venison - if you don't like it you haven't had it cooked properly or didn't process the meat properly after the kill.
Elk - haven't had much of it, but what I had was equal to quality beef.
Coon, possum, rattlesnake, alligator, duck, quail, dove, crawfish, oysters, garfish - all good.

Stuff I don't eat...... well, rocks and trees come to mind.

Not true. I know lots of people who don't like venison. The fact that you like liver and onions shows we have different taste.

Keep in mind mule deer around here feed on sage. A lot different than whitetails feeding on corn or apples.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-23-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Pete - I'm telling you. A bear roast trimmed of all fat and rubbed with oil and seasoned with fresh ground black pepper and Johnny's seasoning salt then seared in a hot pan and placed in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, 3 beef bullion cubes, a bay leaf, a teaspoon of minced garlic and a slice or two of onion. Cook for 55-60 mins and let pressure drop by itself and you will have the tastiest meat you ever ate. And it will fall apart.
This is the same recipe I use for beef and venison. It's delicious.
It doesn't really matter. Bear hunting sucks around here. Too many hunters, and not enough bears. No baiting, so sneaking up on them with a lot of hunters around is a pain. Getting close enough for a PRB makes it worse. It's a rifle season, so i'm with rifle hunters who can take long shots. I also like to hunt up high at timberline. Bears aren't there, so I have to go lower for them where the majority of hunters are.
I'll just stick with elk. I know they taste good, and I can hunt in solitude up at timberline.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pete brings up a great point (shows the old fart aint totally senile!), where a game animal lives and what it feeds on contributes greatly to how the meat is flavored.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Pete brings up a great point (shows the old fart aint totally senile!), where a game animal lives and what it feeds on contributes greatly to how the meat is flavored.
Are you sure about that ain't totally senile? Just kidding of course!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Banned

mmmmmmm liver and onions!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There you go.

We all know Jon has no taste.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

see how much of a mountain man you are?!! If you was a real mountain man you'd be cutting buffler hump off, dippin it into the pee juice and scarfing it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.