Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition) >

The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Hefty Hawken (A Recent Acquisition)

Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I am surprised though that there was no dovetail cut in the bbl for a rear sight.
It is surprising Bronko. I wondered about that also, and suspect maybe that peep was specified for the original build. The original owner may have been an old worn out half blind specimen like you.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, a lot of Hall's barrels didn't have rear cutouts. He fashioned a vast majority of barrels for competition shooters and hunters that preferred peep sites. I wish I hadn't gotten out of muzzleloading for all those years. People like Hall were few and far between as were many of the people you meet at events like Friendship and such. Maybe one day I'll get heavy back into it but my "one day's" are getting shorter by the minute.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
It is surprising Bronko. I wondered about that also, and suspect maybe that peep was specified for the original build. The original owner may have been an old worn out half blind specimen like you.
More than likely...But obviously a little richer too.
Like you!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice score Semi!!

A good friend of mine has a .54 Hawken rifle with a Sharon barrel on it that was built buy a local fella some years back. He tells me it's a darn good shooter. The lock looks very similiar as well. I'll have him check it some time to see if it's a Davis lock.

BPS
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

Semi, that's a nice looking rifle. I have been out of the loop for awhile as I have been deer and bear hunting. I am glad to see your still vigorously building up your long rifle collection. Did Sharon build barrels for TC back in the 70's until Sharon went out of business and TC switched to Douglas barrels until Douglas got out of the BP business? (That's a loaded question)...Lmoa