Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight .52 Disc extreme >

Knight .52 Disc extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight .52 Disc extreme

Old 10-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight .52 Disc extreme

I picked up a new freedom series Knight Disc Extreme in .52 cal several weeks ago and hadnt had the chance to get it out. I put a 3x9x42 redfield revenge DNS with Leupold bases and low rings and let me tell ya that is a close fit. So I got out today to see how she would do. I was shooting the 325 gr FTX over 120 gr of pyrodex RS with CCI 209 primers. I swabbed with knights cleaning patches between shots and a dry patch afterwards. I started at 25 yds and the first shot hit below the target and a little to the right. I made a couple of adjustments and got her on target. I moved her out to 100 yds and shot #1 hit about an inch left of center in the red so I turned 3 clicks to the right and reset both elevation and wind age dials and shot 2 more rounds to confirm she was where I wanted her. Then for 1 shot I moved out to 221 yds and added 7.5 MOA just guessing and of course I guessed wrong. It actually needed 11.5 - 12 MOA. All in all it was a great day. Today's temp was 79*F humidity .53% wind was light and variable the wind meter said 3 mph at my back. It's always fun to get out and shoot.
Attached Thumbnails Knight .52 Disc extreme-image.jpg  
Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Zeroing in at 25 yds.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

100 yds 1st shot was on the left and made a 3 click adjustment.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

A very nice looking rifle. And it appears a good shooter also. That is an interesting caliber. It really throws a projectile down range. Should be an excellent large game animal rifle.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

This was fired at 221 yds impact low and left. The other hole was the very 1st shot when I started to zero.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
A very nice looking rifle. And it appears a good shooter also. That is an interesting caliber. It really throws a projectile down range. Should be an excellent large game animal rifle.
Thank you. I will need to get her out to shoot more. I did forget that I changed the breech plug to the bare 209 but figured everyone would figure that out. I was skeptical about the .52 but I liked the idea of a faster twist barrel and being a knight I knew it was bound to be a shooter. What was surprising to me was the recoil. I shoot 120 gr of Pyrodex RS out of my encore with a 300 gr SST and I must say its a pleasure to shoot the disc extreme. I am going to try the .475 bloodlines in 375 gr next. I am anxious to see how well they perform.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Slowburn
Thank you. I will need to get her out to shoot more. I did forget that I changed the breech plug to the bare 209 but figured everyone would figure that out. I was skeptical about the .52 but I liked the idea of a faster twist barrel and being a knight I knew it was bound to be a shooter. What was surprising to me was the recoil. I shoot 120 gr of Pyrodex RS out of my encore with a 300 gr SST and I must say its a pleasure to shoot the disc extreme. I am going to try the .475 bloodlines in 375 gr next. I am anxious to see how well they perform.
SB I have had two different 52's and I bought the first one just because of the 1-26 twist. I still function in the world that the 1-24 is the best twist, so getting the 52 got me closer than the 1-28. Since I use the Lehigh Brass bullets they are longer than the normal bullets of similar weight - so for stabilization I really wanted the 1-26.

I also will suggest to you that I did not have the best of luck with the .475's - I THINK the sabot is just to thin for the load I was using. So I moved back to the .458 and stayed there.

Both of the 52's that I had were very accurate and could easily deliver the load to where I was looking.

If you get a chance look at the Lehigh Defense .458x305 CF - it really is a 45-70 rifle bullet and it is tough as heck. It is a long bullet and the 1-26 will really help it stabilize. I shoot them in my 1-28's and they shoot great but I really have to punch them out with 120 grains of T7-2f

Have fun with that rifle - O and remember Lehigh made a .458x220 Bloodline for Knight - great for deer class animals.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Slowburn! Should be a killing machine!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

325gr FTX is a 458 bullet. There is a 325gr XTP in .475 though.

130gr by volume of BH209 and either bullet is a very nasty load. Its pushing around 2100fps or a little more.