Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small buck down

Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Spike

Default Small buck down

Yesterday started out terrible. First, I got up at 5:00am and headed to the lease but somehow I locked the keys in my truck at the gas station. About half way to my destination, I had a blow out on my ATV trailer. It was 10:00 before I finally made it to the lease so I did some work to pass the time. I finally got in my blind at 2:00 and got settled in.

At 3:00, 3 does shot across my shooting lane and I just knew there was a buck chasing them. Sure enough, I could hear him grunting as he approach the lane. When he came out, I recognized him. Definitely a buck that needed to be taken out so I put the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed one off. He went down HARD!!! Sorry but my pictures didn't come out well at all.

I have plenty of meat in the freezer so I'm shooting big bucks only from here on out!!! God bless you all!!!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on taking meat. What rifle and and load were you shooting? Also how far away was the deer from you when you took the shot? Always nice to know what shoots in one rifle might shoot in another.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats. Rotten start, but a mighty fine finish.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on another one, hard to believe they are already trying to chase does around. Feel like the season is already passing by too fast.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
Congratulations on taking meat. What rifle and and load were you shooting? Also how far away was the deer from you when you took the shot? Always nice to know what shoots in one rifle might shoot in another.
Cayugad, I am shooting 110 grains of Blackhorn 209, a MMP 3 petal sabot and a 250grain Bloodline hollow point bullet. I shot this deer at about 75 yards and he went down HARD. I'm going horn hunting this afternoon .
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on not letting the little things mess up your hunt! A deer down makes up for all of that.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the buck. You got the meat, now kill a big swamp buck.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Bigtimer...

I guess that just goes to show you that there's a silver lining to every dark cloud! It would be nice if PA would give us an either sex early ML season after the regular bow season but it'll never happen. We have a doe only early ML season the 3rd week in Oct. and the archery hunters HATE guys out taking a doe with a ML rifle at that time because they say it puts the bucks on edge...

They're probably right, and that's also why PA did it as part of their deer management program implemented by PA game commission biologist Dr. Gary Alt.

BPS
Old 10-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Job on the hunt!