Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning

Old 08-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cleaning

Trying the pellets in my Traditions 50 caliber. I have been told it is much easier to clean with the pellets. Would someone clue me in on what is a good process and/or cleaning products to use. Thanks
Old 08-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

First off, pellets are no easier to clean then loose powder. Pellets are used by people that want to avoid measuring their charge. But other then that all things have to be done the same such as swabbing the bore and cleaning the rifle.

Since you mention pellets I am guessing your shooting Pyrodex or Triple Seven. Both of them can be cleaned out of the rifle with soap and water for the most part.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Banned

what model of traditions?

Simple fact, pellets and loose powder all clean up the same way when using the correct cleaning and materials. Neither are cleaner over the other, loose is best for best accuracy since you can fine tune with loose powder.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
Trying the pellets in my Traditions 50 caliber. I have been told it is much easier to clean with the pellets. Would someone clue me in on what is a good process and/or cleaning products to use. Thanks
It's only easier to remove non-fired bullets and pellet-powder. Once the round is fired, then both pellets and loose powder make a mess inside your bore.

We can better isolate what cleaners to purchase, once you arrive at what kind of bullet you will be shooting. Will it be a conical or a sabot/bullet? Perhaps roundball and patch? Is your Traditions a sidehammer or an inline?.

We need to know more about your rifle and what you want to shoot?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en

Is your Traditions a sidehammer or an inline?.
My guess would be inline since he is shooting pellets

Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Mine too. I kinda heard through the old grapevine that sidehammers and pellets didn't make boom boom to awful well
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

"It's only easier to remove non-fired bullets and pellet-powder"

That is so funny to have people think so. My brother tried pellets (Prodex) in his black diamond and they were crushed when he seated the maxi hunter bullet he used.
My T7 comes out as a compact wad from my Remington 700 and falls apart when it hits the can.

Soap and water works well with both and even in a inline.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 08-25-2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
It's obvious to all the vets here on the board. But it's not obvious to pellet-newbies learning this area of the sport. That's why I questioned it, prior to the member trying it. Thousands and thousands of newbies to pellets have tried shooting them in their sidehammers.

Some of us think ahead and try to avoid the newbie's first-ever ML frustration at the range....... before it happens.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-25-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
"It's only easier to remove non-fired bullets and pellet-powder"

That is so funny to have people think so. My brother tried pellets (Prodex) in his black diamond and they were crushed when he seated the maxi hunter bullet he used.
My T7 comes out as a compact wad from my Remington 700 and falls apart when it hits the can.

Soap and water works well with both and even in a inline.

Al

On 2nd thought, I probably should have placed an asterisk at the end of my sentence there.

* But not when using grease on your breechplug.

--------------------

On a side note, I have never even touched a ML powder-pellet in my life. If you ever were beside me at the range and witnessed how much I lean/press the ramrod into seating my bullets and loose powder, you would instantly agree that pellets and me are something that never-ever should occur in my future.

If it weren't for the proper bullet-seating jags I use, bullet deformity would take place. I'm a little more careful when using Cecil's lead bullets, than any others I currently possess.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-25-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Mine too. I kinda heard through the old grapevine that sidehammers and pellets didn't make boom boom to awful well
Wrong.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...ardwoods-Blued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.