Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning

Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is too hot, and I don't hunt the ML season.

However, a muzzleloader doesn't use smokeless powder for me. If i'm going to shoot smokeless. I'll use a CF gun. Makes more sense for me.

I was careful how I worded this. So, don't turn it around.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could only use it in rifle seasons.
It is too hot, and I don't hunt the ML season
So there is no problem legally speaking, its simply a choice. Just like using BH209 is a choice. It is after all more of a "legal" smokeless than it is a typical carbon based sub.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I am glad not to be born and raised in Pennsylvania, having to deal with the flintlock regulations they have there. Here in Michigan, I see a flintlock in the woods once every 7-8 years...... that's it. They are the rarest of rifles here.

I have never owned a Flintlock, or a package of pellets. Sold all my sidelocks except one. These days, I am so-married to inlines, plastic sabots, removeable breechplugs and Blackhorn 209 sub powder.

Why would you say that T7?

The only time we're subject to any restrictions or regulations concerning flintlocks is during our late season after Christmas which is considered "primitive weapons" only whereas we are only allowed the use of flintlock rifles .44 CALIBER or larger, flintlock pistols .50 CALIBER or larger, long, recurve, or compound bows, or crossbows.

Flintlocks must fire a single projectile (saboted projectiles are allowed), and must have open sights. Fiber optic style sights are permitted but no peeps or scopes allowed. Hunters may harvest a buck or doe with the appropriate tag(s).

The early ML season in October is just that, a muzzleloader season and anything goes as far as ignition style as long as the firearm is .44 CALIBER or larger for rifles and .50 CALIBER or larger for handguns. Scopes, peeps, etc. are allowed. The regs concerning muzzleloaders are the same during the regular firearms season after Thanksgiving as well.

The only PITA with the early ML season is that it's doe only, and it's right smack dab in the middle of archery season just as the rut is coming in so a lot of fellows I know just refuse to hunt it not wanting to put the deer on edge.

BPS
Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's primitive about fiber optic sights, and sabots? I know these were added later, but why?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Why would you say that T7?
Because it's bred into many Pennsylvania shooters, from family generations prior to them. It's often instilled in the child to use a flintlock-only, instead of that new-fangled modern technology plastic thing that lacks hammers.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not so bad. PA is deep in tradition, and a flintlock is the heart of muzzleloaders.

I wish Colorado would have had a primitive flintlock season. I would have been all over it.