Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint >

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

252g Powerbelt Hollowpoint

Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No fear Ron. I'll use a sabot for elk. Probably a Barnes 250gr T-EZ since Carlos has a good price on them. I'll use 100-110gr of BH now that I have the recoil manageable.

I have the muley buck tag for 2nd rifle season. That's Oct 17-25. I plan to get an OTC bull tag for another unit that's not too far from me. I have to go over a 13,000ft pass, so hopefully not too much snow, or they'll close the pass. My unit isn't OTC. The OTC elk unit will be very crowded. The plan is to hunt the first weekend in my unit for the buck. The first weekend in the OTC elk unit will be a zoo, and I know the hunters will be gone by Monday, or hanging out in camp, because they're worn out already. I'll hunt the elk unit Mon-Fri, or until I get an elk if I get lucky. Then if I didn't get a deer the first weekend i'll go back to my unit to hunt for deer the last weekend.

So, 4 days for deer, and 5 days for elk. I'll be worn out by then. So, I don't want to mess with two different loads for deer/elk. I could use a 338gr PB for both, but i'm a chicken, and want a more proven bullet. I know the Barnes will work.

I know it's a contradiction to this whole thread, but I don't want to lose an animal just to prove a point. I still feel the PB would work, but why shoot a 338gr bullet when I can get it done with a 250gr bullet? The PAST pad is going to work only so good.
The Barnes bullet you chose is better but not by a lot. Why not use a Barnes 250grn MZ Expander if you gotta use a Barnes? It will work as good as any other mushrooming bullet.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't the T-EZ just an MZ with a tip, thinner sabot, and flat base? Same construction.

I'm amazed you say the Barnes T-EZ is not a lot better than a PB. I thought PB's were junk? Are we going through this whole thing with Barnes now?

I'm thinking you won't be happy unless I use a Bloodline.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 08-02-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Choices

The 250 TEZ ruined 3 jugs.

The 300 FPB ruined 4 jugs.

The 300 XTP ruined 4 jugs.

The 250 Monoflex ruined 5 jugs.

The 245g Lehigh CF ruined 5 jugs.

Just saying, not saying, just saying.......... isn't it wonderful there are so many good bullets available.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't the T-EZ just an MZ with a tip, thinner sabot, and flat base? Same construction.

I'm amazed you say the Barnes T-EZ is not a lot better than a PB. I thought PB's were junk? Are we going through this whole thing with Barnes now?

I'm thinking you won't be happy unless I use a Bloodline.
If your gonna use a Barnes bullet why not use the best they have for a ML? With your strict guidelines on shooting there's nobody gonna convince me that if your using a Barnes bullet the MZ Expander isn't the best Barnes for you.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
If your gonna use a Barnes bullet why not use the best they have for a ML? With your strict guidelines on shooting there's nobody gonna convince me that if your using a Barnes bullet the MZ Expander isn't the best Barnes for you.
You'll need to explain why it's better? I'm into details.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The 250 TEZ ruined 3 jugs.

The 300 FPB ruined 4 jugs.

The 300 XTP ruined 4 jugs.

The 250 Monoflex ruined 5 jugs.

The 245g Lehigh CF ruined 5 jugs.

Just saying, not saying, just saying.......... isn't it wonderful there are so many good bullets available.
This tells me the T-EZ expanded quicker in your test. We know it has good penetration in game.

Not counting the Lehigh. That's different expanding bullet than the rest.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This tells me the T-EZ expanded quicker in your test. We know it has good penetration in game.

Not counting the Lehigh. That's different expanding bullet than the rest.
It didn't expand at all
Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by grouse45
it didn't expand at all
??

Old 08-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

??

When Ron tested with 50grns of BH209. That would of been equivalent to about a 100 to 125 yard shot.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

He didn't test an MZ. It might do the same thing. The T-EZ expanded perfectly with 80gr of BH.

I'll be using 100-110gr. I'm sure it will expand at 150yds.

Is this why you're saying the T-EZ isn't a good bullet, and the MZ is better? Kind of weak when the MZ wasn't even tested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.