Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

replacement stock

Old 01-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default replacement stock

I have an old Whitetail hunter made by Muzzleloader Technologies. The stock has a crack in it and I am concerned that it might eventually give way. The crack is in the grip. Not having any luck contacting MT. Not sure if they are out of business or what. Local gun smith says he can put a pin in it to reinforce it but I am a little hesitant to go that route. So far I have not found a source for a replacement stock for this manufacture. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gunsmiths

...can do stuff with guns that the general public and hunters would not understand.
I had a broken stock. I thought the gunsmith would recommend a new stock.
He fixed the old one. And it still works more than thirty years later.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Spike

If it is just a crack, with no splintering or breakage and there is no build up of dirt, any competent cabinet maker or gunsmith can drill it & insert a dowel or pin(more then one if necessary), with an appropriate glue, and clamp it tight. Especially if glue can be forced into the crack, the repair should be stronger then when it was new. The down side is the dowels may show & some finishing touch-up will be necessary. You don't say which way the crack runs, but, in some cases the repairs can be hidden under the stock 'furniture'.
This has been a long-winded way of saying 'don't be afraid of a repaired stock'. Just be sure who ever does the repair knows what he is doing. A well intentioned amateur could destroy the stock.
Paul
Old 01-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Would that be mti as in a White muzzleloader, if so many have done the repair to the stock .
Old 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should be able to fix that no problem you might even be able to hide the repair under the action depending on the angle of the crack.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Check this thread out. It may be the answer to your issue.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...insurance.html