Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
White Bison Insurance >

White Bison Insurance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Bison Insurance

Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default White Bison Insurance

I have a White Bison with the Myrtle Stock. I love the gun and know they have a reputation for breaking in the throat of the grip. I believe it depends on how the wood grain flows and there's no way to know until you have an issue.

After seeing Sharpshooters broken gun, I knew it was time finally take action.

The gun:

I put cardboard first, then a towel on the vise. I came at it with a 3/8" drill bit with an extension. I was very concerned I'd miss the angle as there's not much room for error.

I had a 3/8" oak dowel which would eventually be cut to size. I repeatably inserted the dowel to check my angle.

I made it through the throat clean and drilled slightly into the stock. This is what I inserted.

The final product waiting to dry. I'll feel much better as I slam the conicals into this gun.

It cleaned up nice with a damp towel. While not a fancy job, I believe it will get the job done.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

NICE!! You didn't mention what adhesive you used, did you?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good. Next, bed it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
NICE!! You didn't mention what adhesive you used, did you?
Just some standard wood glue. I'm not even sure what brand. I'm assuming the strength will come from the oak dowel. Based on the fact that I needed to hammer it home, Im not worried about it working it's way out.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a Bison also. I have shot a lot of rounds through it but never did anything to the stock. Now you have me worried. Maybe I better think of what I want to do with the rifle. It also has that Myrtle wood stock. I was under the impression the Lightening was the model that had problems. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have a Bison also. I have shot a lot of rounds through it but never did anything to the stock. Now you have me worried. Maybe I better think of what I want to do with the rifle. It also has that Myrtle wood stock. I was under the impression the Lightening was the model that had problems. Thanks for the post.
Perhaps, I had nothing to worry about. Mine likes Hornady Great Plains 425's and I need to give the starter a pretty good whack to load them. If I was using the slip fits most use I may not have done anything. I look at it as a simple insurance policy. It took less than an hour to do the whole job and the cost was less than $5 including a new drill bit.

Just one less thing to worry about.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I think it's a smart move , especially since stocks are pretty much nonexistent . Good job and I agree with the bedding it . That should be done also

Old 01-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a g-series that cracked but it cracked right where the safety cut out is and goes straight down towards the trigger so i had to go the other way to repair so i pre drilled and ran a 3" screw down thru and removed it then filled with glue and reinstalled screw then glass bedded no problem since but you can see a slight crack in the black finish.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

My .451 Super 91 has a laminated stock, so far no problems, but I did find a B&C stock for it couple years back. The .504 Super 91 is already in a B&C bedded stock, sold its laminate stock which funded the bedding job.

My .12 ga. shotgun stock is wood, but bedded an the .504 Bison and M97 are myrtle/laminate, not bedded.

Only hunt with the Super 91's so not worried...too much!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

too bad the white rifles had such inconsistent stocks i have many rifles and many spare stocks i bought hoping to get a better stock but never do. finally the bison i bought this year had a great stock on it all i had to do was glass bed it.i found someone with a stock duplicator close by so we are going to build all new stocks for the different models of white rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.