Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

stock relacement

Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Spike

Default stock relacement

Thinking about replacing the plastic stock on my Omega. If so it would be a Boyd's Laminate. My question is go with thumbhole or stick with the standard stock? I have a standard on it now.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on what suits you better I like the Thumbhole better because it gives me better trigger control. Also if you walk long distance you will notice the extra weight going to a heavier wood stock and a Thumbhole at the same time
Old 12-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Spike

I have used a couple of Boyds stocks & was very pleased with the end result. They were both with hi-powers, but I imagine results would be much the same. The inletting was OK, but both had to be glass bedded before any kind of accuracy could be achieved. YRMV
1 was my dad's .06 Rem 725. He was 4" shorter then me & even though I had fitted an extension to the butt, it just wasn't comfortable to shoot & of course, accuracy suffered. After re-stocking, I was amazed at how much more comfortable to shoot & accurate it had become. The other was my son's Savage 280 Rem mag with a plastic stock & crappy accuracy. Again, groups tightened right up to what the barrel was capable of.
Both stocks were thumbholes, which we both found we really liked, but that is a matter of taste. In fact, I liked mine so much that 3 new builds I have done are traditional MLs, 2 are flint locks, all have built-from-a plank thumbholes.
Paul
Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by speedmaster97
Thinking about replacing the plastic stock on my Omega. If so it would be a Boyd's Laminate. My question is go with thumbhole or stick with the standard stock? I have a standard on it now.
Thumbholes are cool. You may get longer, admiration looks from the deer.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have a thumbhole on m Encore helps control also reduces felt recoil.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

I checked on their site and was bummed that they didn,t have a listing for my Firestorm.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Thumb holes allow me to get a better cheek weld. I love them.

There are ways to beef up the Omega stock if you have the Z5 version.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Me personally I,ll never own one.I can,t stand the looks of em.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I tried a thumb hole on one of my rifles and really liked the feel of it and then changed all my rifles over to thumbholes.