Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance >

New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance

Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance

Used the T/C Encore over the past weekend and took a buck using the new Federal muzzle loader bullets. I loaded the 270 gr. bullet over 100 gr. of BH209, and a CCI 209 shotgun primer. The bullet went in the shoulder, and I recovered it just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Great expansion, tremendous damage inside. My only concern was no exit wound to leave a good blood trail had the deer not dropped withing 25 yards in an open field. Here are a couple of pics showing a fresh bullet, and the one I recovered. The expansion was perfect.
Attached Thumbnails New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance-20150102_183919-1.jpg   New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance-20150102_183928-1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't complain about performance like that! Hey it worked like a champ if you ask me...going through both shoulders and looking like that....Fed might have a winner on their hands.

I wouldn't for 1 second be concerned with the fact that it didn't exit on that shot.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also would be concerned with it not exiting. But 100grns by volume is a pretty light load.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice expansion I agree. And I also understand your concerns about a pass through. That seems to be the one major "bad bullet" complaint of those that get talked about. Although if the deer made one or two large bounds and dropped.. I would not fault the bullet.

How is the accuracy of the bullet on the range?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOWzer! Impressive indeed. Wish I could afford them.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man those things look devastating. I bet you would get a pass through with a lot of tissue damage it you hit behind the shoulder. I would bet a hit in that area the deer would be DRT.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the buck!

Nice looking bullet.

Just curious, how far out was the buck when shot?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know what more you could ask for? I think the pass through would have been accomplished with a little more power.

That deer was not going far.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Spike

The range was about 60 yards give or take. As far as accuracy, the pic below is at 100 yards, 100gr. BH209, and CCI primer. It was the last 2 shots I took after sighting in with the Federal bullets. As far as I'm concerned, accuracy is awesome. I do have a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on the Encore.

I am going to see if maybe 110gr of powder will be as accurate, and if so, that will be my load. The reason I am at 100 right now is that I got the bullets right before the season and did not have a lot of time to play with different loads. I was already using 100gr with the T/C Shockwave bullets and just started there, and it seemed accurate enough.

The bullets are on the expensive side, but with the accuracy and performance I am getting, it is worth it in my opinion. Also the sabot less design means it is useable in states like Colorado for Elk in ML season. I have the loose powder part down also, just need to go back to open sights and I will be ready.
Attached Thumbnails New Federal BOR Lok MZ Bullet performance-20140101_105743.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very nice expansion I agree. And I also understand your concerns about a pass through. That seems to be the one major "bad bullet" complaint of those that get talked about. Although if the deer made one or two large bounds and dropped.. I would not fault the bullet.

How is the accuracy of the bullet on the range?
I have noticed this complaint and the no expansion complaint over the years and have come to believe that the reason I never seem to have that problem has got to do with the fact that I like to shoot 120 grains or more and trade off any guns that won't handle it accurately. I often have used .54 caliber gun with a 35 inch barrel and a 130 grains of RS and it consistently has shot in one side and out the other.
Now if a 230 grain PRB will do it so should any elongated bullet that is pushed fast enough and does not over expand[ come apart ].
I also have an Endeavor encore that I use quite a bit just because I like it, with Lehigh 50/40 bullet and 140 grains of Blackhorn always gets complete penetration and usually drops the deer on the spot. When I was testing the 50/40 Lehigh I took a 9 point with a nice rack and a large body at a very long angle cutting a notch in the left ham going in and ended up puckering the skin out in the right front shoulder 24 inches from where it went in. At that time I was using 120 grains and decided to see how much powder it would take and keep an inch group to increase the penetration. I do not advise any one that does not have a high test barrel and a steel receiver to use this load. But I do not recover any bullets any more and mostly I do not need to track them much either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.