Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabot choice????

Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I've had good results with Harvester's Crush Rib sabots shooting several Barnes bullets, the Hornady 250 and 300 gr SST and Harvester's 300 gr PT Gold. The red Hornady EZ Load 3 pedal sabot(made by and available from MMP in black ) has proven to be very accurate as well. Performance on whitetails and feral hogs has been outstanding with all 3 bullets. IMO these bullets are far superior to Powerbelts. In my limited experience with them I was not at all impressed with their performance on game. You will find a number of negative comments about Powerbelts elsewhere on this Forum. Do some in depth research before you settle on the PB just because they are easy to load.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Spike

In my CVA accura v2 I'm shooting the red crush rib sabot by harvester. My bullet is the a 250 grain hornady sst. The black crush ribs were to loose. Kind of loose with knurled bullets. I do have the harvester black smooth sabots. Haven't shot them enough.

I couldn't get the pt golds to group worth a darn in the red crush rib. Switched to the sst since they were in my box. Finally had great groups. After deer season I'm going to try shooting the scorpion pt golds with black smooth sabot. All shot with blackhorn powder.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

The 300 gr Harvester PT Gold with a black Crush rib, 110 gr of Blackhorn 209 and Federal 209A primer has been the most accurate load out of my 3 Knights. All have produced sub MOA 3 shot 100 yd groups. My best group to date has been a 3 shot .297 inch from my Long Range Hunter. It's been glass bedded and the trigger is set at 2 lbs. My scope is an old Nikon Gold 1.5 to 6 with a 30mm tube.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by pooldoc
I've had good results with Harvester's Crush Rib sabots shooting several Barnes bullets, the Hornady 250 and 300 gr SST and Harvester's 300 gr PT Gold. The red Hornady EZ Load 3 pedal sabot(made by and available from MMP in black ) has proven to be very accurate as well. Performance on whitetails and feral hogs has been outstanding with all 3 bullets. IMO these bullets are far superior to Powerbelts. In my limited experience with them I was not at all impressed with their performance on game. You will find a number of negative comments about Powerbelts elsewhere on this Forum. Do some in depth research before you settle on the PB just because they are easy to load.
I have shot the powerbelts before. They where the 295 gr aero tip. I killed 3 deer with them but had 3 diff results after the shot. First big doe was at 40 yards and made a great shot behind the shoulder. Had a few drops of blood were she stood. After that never found anymore. Had to get a tracking dog but did find her. No exit. Second doe was 25 yards, after I shot and smoke cleared the deer was laying there on the ground. I was thinking I broke her back BC she wld pick her head up and then lay it back down. I loaded another round and broke her neck. I sat there a few mins wondering what happened. When I got to her I made the perfect lung shot. Still confused on that one. Last was a doe at 75 yards. Shot deer ran off and I waited bout 20 mins got down and found blood. She ran about 75 or 80 yards and was dead. Another lung shot. None of the 3 had exit holes. This was before I switched to Blackhorn 209. I was using triple 7 pyrodex pellets. Early days
Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Spike

Most of the later model CVA's show a preference for the Harvester EZ load smooths regardless of your bullet choice (proper diameter requires of course) but also shoot most 458 diameter bullets equally well in an MMP orange 458x50 sabot. The powder charge sweet spot usually comes in with 110gr BH209. That isn't to say that you can't use less & get good groups. It's just a consistent thing with BH & CVA's

I shoot a Lehigh 458/300 CF subsonic, 110gr Bh209, orange MMP sabots, Fed 209A primers out of my Accura MR with great accuracy.

Hope this helps, Greg
Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

duckslayer

Issue with Powerbelts under 400 grains are fragmentation with higher velocities, leaded and unleaded.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some may call me a cheap SOB but out of my CVA Accura V2 and a couple other of my muzzys I shoot .44 cal, 300 gr Hornady XTPs and Harvester green grush rib sabots with various powders and charges with excellent accuracy and the deer shot with them haven't complained one bit.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remembering that the bullet petal thickness adds up to match the barrel since there is a lot more variation in muzzleloader barrels than in cartridge gun barrels knowing what each combination takes it is wise to stay with the same petal thickness when you find a good shooting combination but sometimes you have to compensate for a difference like from .450 to .452.
The other thing about sabot some do not realize is what climate difference does to them here in the south where temperatures are warmer a good part of the year I use Harvester sabots because they hold up better in the heat when I lived in the North I used MMP sabots because they work better in the colder temps.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

My Apex and Accura like the Harvester smooth black for 300gr and less bullets paired with a Barnes 250gr TEZ, I also knurl my bullets.

MMP sabots usually shot well but I get better groups with the Harvesters and no fliers, the MMP sometimes gave me 'what the heck' fliers

Last edited by BuckDoeHunter; 12-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

No first shot flier with BH209? If not, lets hear your ritual to avoid it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.