Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabot choice????

Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default sabot choice????

Was wondering what sabots you guys where using. I have been using the Harvester smooth black sabots when I'm shooting the Barnes expanders with great results, but I'm trying a new bullet and thought about trying a new sabot. Gonna give the Bloodline 250 gr a little range time and see what they will do with the Blackhorn 209. Wasn't sure how the factory ones where
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
Was wondering what sabots you guys where using. I have been using the Harvester smooth black sabots when I'm shooting the Barnes expanders with great results, but I'm trying a new bullet and thought about trying a new sabot. Gonna give the Bloodline 250 gr a little range time and see what they will do with the Blackhorn 209. Wasn't sure how the factory ones where
The sabots that come with the Bloodline are HPH-24's and I believe the ones made for Knight are Orange in color.

This is a target shot with the 250 grain Bloodline and supplied sabot by a Knight tech back in Tennessee. They normally shoot very well.

I think you indicated that you are shooting a CVA, and if so it probably has a tight bore - you might need a HPH-3p-EZ load sabot or a Harvester 'Crush Rib'
Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
The sabots that come with the Bloodline are HPH-24's and I believe the ones made for Knight are Orange in color.

This is a target shot with the 250 grain Bloodline and supplied sabot by a Knight tech back in Tennessee. They normally shoot very well.

I think you indicated that you are shooting a CVA, and if so it probably has a tight bore - you might need a HPH-3p-EZ load sabot or a Harvester 'Crush Rib'
That's correct. I have a CVA optima v2.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

duckslayer82

In one other post you said you have some HPH-24's - what bullet do you normally load in those sabots? and do they go down OK?

Also forgot to post - that is a 200 yard target shot with the Bloodline - wish I were that good but it was not me!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate the thought of going to a range and needing 10-12 shots to sight-in a different moderately expensive bullet/sabot combo.
In the case involving the Bloodline bullet, every trigger squeeze sees approx $1.85 ($1.65+20cents) heading down the range towards the target.

I'll bet it makes our loyal roundball shooters-here read this thread and chuckle a-bit.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
duckslayer82

In one other post you said you have some HPH-24's - what bullet do you normally load in those sabots? and do they go down OK?

Also forgot to post - that is a 200 yard target shot with the Bloodline - wish I were that good but it was not me!
I have tried them with the expanders. Was curious to what the outcome was. I had better results with the harvester. They where a little tight but did go down
Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I hate the thought of going to a range and needing 10-12 shots to sight-in a different moderately expensive bullet/sabot combo.
In the case involving the Bloodline bullet, every trigger squeeze sees approx $1.85 ($1.65+20cents) heading down the range towards the target.

I'll bet it makes our loyal roundball shooters-here read this thread and chuckle a-bit.
Your correct. It does seem to be a waist to some. But I am fairly new to muzzleloading and I want to find the best load possible. Only way I know how is to try diff things. See what works and what don't. Also I kinda thought that was the purpose of having so many choices of bullets and sabots. If one worked perfect in every rifle we wld only need one bullet and sabot on the market
Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en

I hear you... that is why sight in with a much less expensive bullet of the same weight and then verify with the real thing.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
I have tried them with the expanders. Was curious to what the outcome was. I had better results with the harvester. They where a little tight but did go down
Since I think you live and hunt in Georgia, the harvester may be the better sabot for you. Here in Idaho and in the cold weather that I hunt in the harvester polymer becomes very HARD and difficult to load. The MMP sabot uses a different polymer and it remains pliable in the rotten weather - it grabs the bore very well... but, in warmer weather the MMP above say 75* start becoming soft.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have a optima as well.

I'm shooting PowerBelts out of it and getting outstanding accuracy.

I've had good luck with the MMP Orange sabots and 458 bullets. They are much cheaper in the long run but I don't shoot enough that it makes that much difference at the end of the year.

Another good sabot combination for me has been the black crush ribbed and .452 bullets. That was my goto load in my Knight and was the first combination I tried after experimenting with different loads.

To be honest with you the Optima seems to like everything I have tried so far. I prefer the powerbelts because of their easy loading characteristics. I'll probably stick with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.