Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave >

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Old 12-07-2014, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a link to Russell Lynch's site...this one goes to his DVD page. He tests many different bullets in ballistic gel.

He buys all equipment and components out of his pocket...no sponsors. I have an Omega and bought the DVD for it.

Check it out, it's a real eye opener when it comes to terminal bullet performance. The DVD contains lots of good tips and information...money well spent IMHO.

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/products.html
Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

He tests many different bullets in ballistic gel.

Yep, they always use ballistic gel. Then they extrapolate info gathered from their ballistic gel tests into the bullets alleged effectiveness on live animals like deer that consist of hides, fat, bones, guts, muscle and lots of other stuff.

This hog weighed 384 pounds on the hoof. He was shot by me using a 250 grain SST bullet powered by 100 grains of either JSG or 2F Pinnacle powder, forget which. Distance was about 35 yards. Boar measured 19" through the path that the bullet took. Bullet broke one rib going in and two ribs going out. Bullet penetrated both 1 1/2 inch "shields" and was found nicely mushroomed under the hide on the opposide side.

i buy into an occasional failure of the SST bullet to expand or an occcasional separation of lead core and jacket, but not frequent instances of both.

Way back when the US Army tested their bullets on hogs.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which SSTs were they??
Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Neumonic
So the SST's are not worth using? Only way I can get the Barnes are to order online, none of the local stores carry them. I will probably go to the range today and shoot both bullets to see if One shoots different accuracy wise.
The SST/ML 250 grain, Is a very accurate bullet out of my T/C Pro Hunter, 1" groups at 100 yards, using a T/C yellow superglide Sabot and 100 grains of BH 209

Midway has them in box of 20 with red sabots or box of 50 with no sabots. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...ornady+bullets

here are the T/C superglide sabots I use https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ullet_(50_Pack)

Awesome terminal ballistics on a 4 point buck this year.

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-07-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Yep, they always use ballistic gel. Then they extrapolate info gathered from their ballistic gel tests into the bullets alleged effectiveness on live animals like deer that consist of hides, fat, bones, guts, muscle and lots of other stuff.

This hog weighed 384 pounds on the hoof. He was shot by me using a 250 grain SST bullet powered by 100 grains of either JSG or 2F Pinnacle powder, forget which. Distance was about 35 yards. Boar measured 19" through the path that the bullet took. Bullet broke one rib going in and two ribs going out. Bullet penetrated both 1 1/2 inch "shields" and was found nicely mushroomed under the hide on the opposide side.

i buy into an occasional failure of the SST bullet to expand or an occcasional separation of lead core and jacket, but not frequent instances of both.
Man that's a fat one falcon! Nice work, can't argue with that.

I completely agree with the statement above. Things happen. I've seen crazy stuff happen over the years - even with CF bullets that are top tier.

Doesn't SST/Shockwave have 2 type of bullets, one much tougher than the other? (bonded I believe) I can't remember.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 12-08-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:29 AM
Spike

I shot the SST's last Sunday, first shot barely hit paper at 75 yards (that's what I was sighted in for with the Barnes) had to make big adjustment and never found any consistent grouping after 8 shots? When's back to the Barnes, barely hit paper with first shot due new settings with the SST's. Made big adjustments, very next shot was dead center about an inch high and called it a day. Actually couldn't shoot any more of my Barnes as I am now down to two left and every place that carries them has them out of stock. Lesson learned!
There is one thing I can complement the SST's for, they do go down the barrel easier, but, I can't feel them "seat" on the powder pellets like the Barnes sabots.

After deer season is over, I will shoot the rest of the SST's to see if I can do any better with them. Just feel I need to stick with the Barnes T-EZ's for deer season.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You just cited two reasons why I don't use pellets.

1) Can't feel the stop button with the ramrod suggests there's a chance to break the pellets. Not gonna' happen with loose powder.

2) Unable to find accuracy with a very populat and highly noted accuracy-friendly bullet like SST. Had you used loose powder and changed your powder volume in five grain increments until successful, you likely would have found a nice match.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
You just cited two reasons why I don't use pellets.

1) Can't feel the stop button with the ramrod suggests there's a chance to break the pellets. Not gonna' happen with loose powder.

2) Unable to find accuracy with a very populat and highly noted accuracy-friendly bullet like SST. Had you used loose powder and changed your powder volume in five grain increments until successful, you likely would have found a nice match.
100% agreed!!! Everytime you seat a pellet hard, you break up the pellets, changing the burn rate. Changing your impact point. Loose powder won't do that.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
100% agreed!!! Everytime you seat a pellet hard, you break up the pellets, changing the burn rate. Changing your impact point. Loose powder won't do that.
Don't crush the pellets by over seating the bullet. Its what witness marks are for. I just put 500 rounds and 1,500 pellets down range in a new rifle and never crushed a pellet.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

There was a remark earlier that PRB do not expand. I hunted with a 54 for many years I took 27 deer during that time every ball that was recovered was expanded to double its size some time they turned completely inside out and back to a ball shape, they do a lot of damage. Out of 27 deer only one ran over 30 yards and that was on a 125 yd. shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.