Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave >

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave

Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Spike

So the SST's are not worth using? Only way I can get the Barnes are to order online, none of the local stores carry them. I will probably go to the range today and shoot both bullets to see if One shoots different accuracy wise.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Neumonic
So the SST's are not worth using? Only way I can get the Barnes are to order online, none of the local stores carry them. I will probably go to the range today and shoot both bullets to see if One shoots different accuracy wise.

Why cant you find Barnes in STL? Did you try Grafs in St Charles or Cabelas near Hazelwood?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

There have been two SST failures that I know of this year already. However both deer were recovered. It may not be the case for everyone but, for these to hunters, who recovered the bullets from inside the animal, I question its performance. I believe another poster will be using these photos and possibly others, to address the issue with Hornady.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Why cant you find Barnes in STL? Did you try Grafs in St Charles or Cabelas near Hazelwood?
Wasn't aware of Grafs and don't usually go to Cabela's, over a 30 mile drive... but might consider it after seeing the pictures posted by BarnesAddict!

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
There have been two SST failures that I know of this year already. However both deer were recovered. It may not be the case for everyone but, for these to hunters, who recovered the bullets from inside the animal, I question its performance. I believe another poster will be using these photos and possibly others, to address the issue with
Thanks for the info, I still have 4 or 5 T-EZ bullets left that I will be sure to keep for muzzleloader season coming up, they did a hell of a job on a coyote a couple weeks back.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think SST/Shockwaves are bad by any means. However, they also aren't nearly as good as the T-EZ, imo.

BarnesAddict.... what's the details on those? Odd for sure. I would definitely like to see better performance than that, no doubt. What I've come to understand, crazy stuff happens with any bullet from time to time, but those almost look like a lehigh solid copper. Be interesting to hear what Hornady says.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I don't think SST/Shockwaves are bad by any means. However, they also aren't nearly as good as the T-EZ, imo.

BarnesAddict.... what's the details on those? Odd for sure. I would definitely like to see better performance than that, no doubt. What I've come to understand, crazy stuff happens with any bullet from time to time, but those almost look like a lehigh solid copper. Be interesting to hear what Hornady says.
One bullet hit the deer quartering to. Hit at the shoulder and the bullet was found under the hide on the opposite side rear quarter. It broke bone.

Second bullet, the one which appears more damaged, was shot into the chest and retrieved from a rear quarter.

There's a third photo around and if I can find it, I'll post it. Complete separation and defragmentation of the bullet. Only the jacket was recovered.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand jacket/core separation from time to time, it happens. Driving through from qtr to qtr through bone, certainly should have expanded more than that, at least in my opinion. Imagine shooting one broadside? It would have just penciled through. Odd.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guys is addressing it with Hornady, when? Probably after the muzzleloading season.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

There have been two SST failures that I know of this year already. However both deer were recovered. It may not be the case for everyone but, for these to hunters, who recovered the bullets from inside the animal, I question its performance. I believe another poster will be using these photos and possibly others, to address the issue with Hornady.
So we have two more the bullet failed but it killed the deer stories.

One bullet hit the deer quartering to. Hit at the shoulder and the bullet was found under the hide on the opposite side rear quarter. It broke bone.

Second bullet, the one which appears more damaged, was shot into the chest and retrieved from a rear quarter.
Neither of these guys has a clue where to shoot a deer. i've been killing deer for over 60 years, over 300 of them. The number of deer that got away wounded can be counted on the fingers of both hands.

Deer are not that hard to kill: i've killed them using underpowered calibers like .22 Hornet and .25-20 Winchester: Even killed several with the .22 LR. In my youth i killed numerous deer using military full metal jacket ammo. You just have to know where to shoot them. Sadly, many deer hunters have no idea where to shoot a deer.

A deer is hit in both lungs with .45 caliber bullet is a dead deer whether the bullet expands or not. A double lunged deer seldom goes further than 200 yards after being hit: Few go further than 100 yards. Many are DRT.

The search for the magic bullet that will turn a bad shot into a bang flop continues.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
So we have two more the bullet failed but it killed the deer stories.

Neither of these guys has a clue where to shoot a deer. i've been killing deer for over 60 years, over 300 of them. The number of deer that got away wounded can be counted on the fingers of both hands.

Deer are not that hard to kill: i've killed them using underpowered calibers like .22 Hornet and .25-20 Winchester: Even killed several with the .22 LR. In my youth i killed numerous deer using military full metal jacket ammo. You just have to know where to shoot them. Sadly, many deer hunters have no idea where to shoot a deer.

A deer is hit in both lungs with .45 caliber bullet is a dead deer whether the bullet expands or not. A double lunged deer seldom goes further than 200 yards after being hit: Few go further than 100 yards. Many are DRT.

The search for the magic bullet that will turn a bad shot into a bang flop continues.
Both deer expired, so the bullets killed the deer? Yes, I agree. However some hunters expect a bullet to perform and expand properly. For those that don't want expansion, shoot a FMJ or round ball.

Some guys end up having a weekend to hunt, maybe only one day the entire season. Can you blame them for taking a shot that may be the only available shot they have for the entire season? Hey, they killed and recovered both deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.