HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady SST vs TC Shockwave
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Yep, they always use ballistic gel. Then they extrapolate info gathered from their ballistic gel tests into the bullets alleged effectiveness on live animals like deer that consist of hides, fat, bones, guts, muscle and lots of other stuff.

This hog weighed 384 pounds on the hoof. He was shot by me using a 250 grain SST bullet powered by 100 grains of either JSG or 2F Pinnacle powder, forget which. Distance was about 35 yards. Boar measured 19" through the path that the bullet took. Bullet broke one rib going in and two ribs going out. Bullet penetrated both 1 1/2 inch "shields" and was found nicely mushroomed under the hide on the opposide side.

i buy into an occasional failure of the SST bullet to expand or an occcasional separation of lead core and jacket, but not frequent instances of both.
Man that's a fat one falcon! Nice work, can't argue with that.

I completely agree with the statement above. Things happen. I've seen crazy stuff happen over the years - even with CF bullets that are top tier.

Doesn't SST/Shockwave have 2 type of bullets, one much tougher than the other? (bonded I believe) I can't remember.

Last edited by WV Hunter; 12-08-2014 at 03:01 AM.