Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Too little powder??? >

Too little powder???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Too little powder???

Old 10-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure the bullet is the problem Lee. My Wolf will shoot a PRB accurately with 60-80gr of powder. You can't get much shorter than a round ball. No way should his bullet be hitting the dirt.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

So you just bought the pellets! How long had they been in storage at the dealers? How did the dealer store them?
I agree get some loose powder, Lot easier to see if loose powder is loaded with moisture. Also ditch the Windex go with a spit patch.

We for years playing around with black powder and PRB only used 60gr. max real black to shoot 100 yd targets.

Al
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I am confident that the 230 grain bullet and sabot is not too loose--maybe too short but not too loose. I do have some 250 grain Hornady SST's that I can try if I can not get the 230's to do any good. I was going to get the scope in the ball park with the cheap stuff before I tuned it for the SST's. I also have a supply of Pyrodex RS loose powder that I use in a side hammer and some 777 pellets in the 50 grain tubes. I do not think the 60 grain pellets were damaged--at least not while I have owned them. I think the main problem was too much moisture so I will try to fix that first. After that, it will be a powder and bullet change. I did check the mount(one of those Durasights that CVA sells) and the scope(Redfield Revenge Sabot ML). All seems to be tight. This is a nice outfit, I just need to get it to shoot. I do appreciate all of the advice.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My money is on the swabbing. I swab with a moist patch (alcohol and windex), then a dry patch, and then snap a primer before loading the next shot.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never felt a need to waste a primer after swabbing.

Lick a patch, and run it down the bore in small steps. Turn it over, and run it down again. Run one dry patch down on both sides. Load and shoot.

The important part is the licking of the patch. Just a fast lick, or two. It barely gets part of one side of the patch damp. The other side is bone dry.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

REDEMPTION--I took the rifle out behind the house today, I did not want to return to the shooting range behind the gun store where they would probably hoot and jeer if I shot into the ground half way to the target again. I got rid of the "pour it on" bottle of Windex and got one with the little spray pump. Sorry guys, I am not going to lick a patch that was probably made from African cotton, raised right in the middle of the ebola outbreak. I still use the shotgun cleaning rod, but I follow that with a cleaning jag. I set up a target just over 100' away and stood resting the gun on stacked up bags of dirt on top of the bed of my pickup. I loaded one 60 grain pellet and the 230 grain bullets, the first two shots were a little low. The third shot I used an unknown 240 grain bullet and two 50 grain pellets, it was a little high. The last shot was with two 60 grain pellets and a 250 grain SST, it was right on the nose. These four shots were dispursed 2 and 1/4 inches up and down and 1/4 inch left and right center to center. If my old truck had better shocks it probably would have been better, but not too bad for a windy day. At any rate the problem was using too much moisture when swabbing. I did not adjust the scope because I do not know how the bullets will fall at 100 yards, this was shooting at a target between 100 and 105 feet from the end of the barrel. I appreciate all of the good info--the too much moisture guys had it right.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lick certain things, but patches are not among them.

My patches are in a small container, and are likely wetter than a couple licks would acheive. There's the chance for forcing moisture into the plug, as I do use a 50 cal jag which seals the bore well during swabbing. Never had a misfire, but also always pop a primer after swabbing.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure you guys have licked worse things.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think my insurance covers getting ebola by licking a patch.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have, Muley. It smelled like Pyrodex too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.