Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 -  Shockwaves >

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Spike

I cleaned my wolf and accura the other day. Both have the blackhorn plug made by cva. I was able to use a 1/8 inch drill bit to clean out the flash channel.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a simple approach to finding the right drill size. When the BP is new I stick different size drills in it until I find the one that fits perfect.

Works everytime.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Any of those will shoot any loose powder well. The crud ring with T7 won't be affected. The only thing to help the T7 crud ring is the primers made for muzzleloaders, and swabbing.

The best cure for the T7 crud ring in a CVA is to use a different powder.
Then I can't figure out why CVA doesn't simply sell their rifles with the BH209 plug...argh! PROFIT?!!

Last edited by donw; 10-03-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: to add...PROFIT?!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps because they have a jillion standard plugs in stock

Actually, for the shooter, the modified standard plug can be a better Blackhorn plug, if the modification is done correctly. The modified plug can have a longer flame channel than the Blackhorn plug. The modified plug can have a larger diameter flame channel than the blackhorn plug. This means the volume of the flame channel is greater in the modified plug than the Blackhorn plug. The larger volume reduces the pressure on the primer. The larger volume allows for more shots before it is necessary to remove the deposited carbon from the flame channel.

If the modified plug has a vent liner, the vent liner can be removed for easier cleaning. When the vent liner' flash hole erodes so large it causes too much blow back, it can be replaced, much cheaper than replacing a breech plug.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember the guys just drilling out the flash hole on their standard plugs and BH shot perfectly. Although not a perfect fix, those rifles are still igniting and shooting BH.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by donw
Then I can't figure out why CVA doesn't simply sell their rifles with the BH209 plug...argh! PROFIT?!!
Keep in mind that the only powder CVA sells is White Hots. That's a pellet, and the stock BP is made for pellets. It also shoots all powders, except BH 209. CVA shooters never had to mess with the BP until BH came out.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Perhaps because they have a jillion standard plugs in stock

Actually, for the shooter, the modified standard plug can be a better Blackhorn plug, if the modification is done correctly. The modified plug can have a longer flame channel than the Blackhorn plug. The modified plug can have a larger diameter flame channel than the blackhorn plug. This means the volume of the flame channel is greater in the modified plug than the Blackhorn plug. The larger volume reduces the pressure on the primer. The larger volume allows for more shots before it is necessary to remove the deposited carbon from the flame channel.

If the modified plug has a vent liner, the vent liner can be removed for easier cleaning. When the vent liner' flash hole erodes so large it causes too much blow back, it can be replaced, much cheaper than replacing a breech plug.
Ron, I've got an old Optima Pro with the non QRBP. Do you still mod those? I know deer seasons are upon us, and I wouldn't expect you to drop everything and work on it, but would you be willing to between now and February?
Sorry all for thread hijacking.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure.. sooner is better than later.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Ron, I PM'd ya. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Ron, I sent you another PM. Thanks.