Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Tell me your routine... >

Tell me your routine...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tell me your routine...

Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tell me your routine...

I have a TC Black Diamond that has never been shot and I know little about the routine to use on it while shooting and cleaning.

Can some of you tell me what you do and what you use between shots? I'm sure I shoot it several times getting it sighted in. I know the gun I have is a dirty shooter as well. Then once you are done what is the best way to clean it and put it to bed for a while?

Also tell what the "must have" cleaners and such you use.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

The black diamond might be a dirty rifle but its a good shooter. I switched to the #11 nipple and shoot a magnum cap. It sure cut down on the fouling in the breech. But as for what I do between shots... ok!

Boom!! I fired off the shot. Pull the hammer back opening the striker. With it open, I take a patch and spritz it with Windex or Isopropyl Alcohol. Then I carefully swab the barrel. Work it over in short strokes. When it is all swabbed, you can run a dry patch if you like. But if you do that, do it every time. When the rifle is swabbed, I normally rest it in the shade of my shooting bench and walk down and check the target.

On return from the target I then load it as normal and shoot again. At the end of the day, I like to swab the barrel with a WET patch while outside. Sometimes I will swab two of them through it. Then I take the rifle in the house and break it down. Barrel off, back set knob out, striker out, etc.. I then clean all the parts and put it back together again. I clean it with soap and water or some black powder solvent. What ever suits me.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You do get around Sir....LOL
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
You do get around Sir....LOL
Yes i guess I do. I was shooting my Black Diamond XR just the other day. Just a good shooter.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can some of you tell me what you do and what you use between shots?
Maker's Mark. Of course that would be in between range sessions.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smooth, and sweet it is.